Skip to content
What Do You Do When...

Notifications
Clear all

What Do You Do When You've Lost Your MoJo???

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@oldman)

oh, by the way, I'm new to this site. I just saw an article listed earlier by AJ about inpiration. It appeared from your message that that is what you are lacking at this time. So, anyway, I'm not trying to be fatherly or anything like that.

ReplyQuote
(@digital-inkwell)

When i lose my groove/mojo/inspiration, i find the best way to get it back is to put down the guitar and notebook and just listen to music. Listen to the old stuff that first got you interested, and then go out and get some new music you've never heard before. When you get lost sometimes it's just best to start with the basics.

Typical for me is to throw on some David Gilmour and Joe Satriani. Then i go check out some Alternative Rock like Third Eye Blind or Matchbox Twenty. Top it all off with a hefty helping of The Police. I'll do this for a week or two straight, no guitar... no songwriting. Just listening and enjoying the music.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-jam)
Eminent Member

When you've lost your mojo.... learn a new instrument. They make you think about music in different ways. (If you don't get you mojo back, at least you get to call yourself a "multi-instrumentalist" which is cool too!)

Harmonica is a cheap second instrument to start with. And it's pretty easy to get passable. Granted, no one wants to hear it, so unless you live alone you may have to limit it to your morning/evening commute (there goes the car pool). Cool thing about harmonica is that every note is in the right key, so its not a bad place to start when you can't come up with an idea for a melody.

Mandolin is another. Not to hard for a guitar player to get the basic idea down. Mandolin makes you think of the music differently, because its based on 5ths instead of 4ths. Mandolin is also good for getting you to think creatively about introducing different rhythms.

After mandolin, fiddle is a logical next step. After all, it's tuned the same way.

Of course, there's always piano. We should all probably get around to learning that one before we die.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

When I lose my mojo it's generally hiding in the cupboard under the stairs.

I mix things up, get a new perspective, write anything. That helps.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

When I lose my mojo it's generally hiding in the cupboard under the stairs.
You have one of those new-fangled sofas with the gap at the back mojo-proofed then? :?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

the coins and picks live there.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2