Clear all

WHY can I not write songs?!?!?!?

32 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@sjboller)
Trusted Member

What I do sometimes when I write (or a feeble attempt at doing so) a song. I like to just pull out my guitar and find a nice isolated place where I can't be bothered. Dark empty rooms or a nature trail in a park where nobody walks by .. etc. I just start strumming random chords and begin humming a melody. Eventually, I'll start mumbling words (which usually don't make sense at all) but just go with it. A lot can be said for lyrics that are not structurally thought out and that just sort of come out of you. Another recommendation, if you don't have any way to record yourself play - get a cheap tape recorder. Record yourself during these sessions. You'll be suprised at some of the things you come up with. And I'm a fan for recording or writing down everything. Never throw anything out - EVEN if it's cheesy. An extremely cheesy line in one song could very well be powerful placed in another. So don't throw anything way - just put in on the back burner for a few days, year, decades. Heh.

Also, just another thought to get the creative juices flowing. Buy a songbook or download tabs, etc. of songs that you have never heard or have no idea have to play. With just the lyrics and chords (or make your own chords up) and try to play it. By doing this .. chances are your version is going to very different from the original. I find it to be a fun endeavor and it helps me to come up with other ideas for songs of my own.

Just thoughts....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Just thoughts....

Good thoughts though. :)

First time I recorded something I forgot to jot down what chords and stuff I'd used. So when I played it back later I had no idea what I'd been doing!! :oops: Maybe my ear has improved slightly since then, but I'd still struggle to figure it out without some written notes.

I've also enjoyed playing a song I don't know, just from the chords or whatever, as you suggest. It can be quite bizarre how completely different it is when I hear it. :roll: I also do that a fair bit when I'm practising chord changes. I do the same chord progression heaps of different ways, just to stop it getting too boring while the fingers get their acts together.

And sometimes.... something quite good pops up. :) But if I don't make some sort of notes, it's gone again, as fast as it arrived... :?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3