Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Writer's Block

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have the worst writer's block ever... it's not, like, "Hmm, I wonder how I can finish this verse", it's more like being a lyrical cripple, in that I can't even think of topics any more. 16 years old and already burned out. Marvellous.

I'm probably too fussy. I'm forever making changes, and I get very embarrassed writing songs - I try and distance myself from it as much as possible, in that I prefer to try and write like someone else than myself, because I always feel my writing is bad.

(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

Try co-writing something with someone else.   To find someone you would like to write with, do this:

1. Make a list of people you know who are into this kind of thing, preferably physically close to you (i.e. not cyber-friends)
2. Call the first one on the list and find out if they are into trying the experiment that I am leading up to.
3. Pick a word (or have them do it).  Set a timer for 10 minutes.  Hang up and write as much as you can about that word, using all the sensory stimuli you can think of.  When the timer goes off, stop.  Call your buddy back (or wait for him/her to call, if that is the arrangement... wouldn't want both of you fighting busy signals).
4. Read your stuff to each other.  Laugh about it together.  No pressure.  This stuff doesn't mean anything it is just to get the juices flowing and find people whose vision you would like to work with.
5. Repeat this through the list as much as necessary.

Once you find the person you would like to write with, get together with them and brainstorm what you would like to write about.  

You will notice that this approach is similar to how people recommend you get past guitar-playing plateaus, by playing with other people.

Try it out.  It might not work out, but it will probably be fun, regardless.

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

grab a little notebook or PDA.  Promise yourself to carry it with you everywhere for an entire week.

Write down anything that strikes you as interesting.  Do not try to do anything with them.  At the end of the week write them all out on a piece of paper.  I guarantee something will pop up to write about.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I record everything I play during practice. even if its just noodling of chord experimenting, I don't over look anything for possibilities. You don't need any fancy equipment. Just a boombox with a builtin mike will do. If you find yourself repeating a lot of themes, you can edit them into melodies or chord changes. If I get totally stuck in mid-song, I'll switch to a different sound or insturments. I tend to write on guitar. Just playing around with a small keyboard can help you see the possibilities a little bit differently.

If this doesn't help give me your girl friends address and phone number that way you can write and play some blues.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Read my article "So You Want to Be a Songwriter," which you'll find under the songwriting tab.

Fact is, once you know what inspiration really is, you know how to call on it any time any place. Basically, although it does take time and practice, if you understand well what you're doing, you should never experience writer's block.

Also, it can easily be confused with tiredeness. If you've been overly busy, have had little sleep and have had very little, intellectually, going on, lately, it could be simply that combination. Read a good book or a riduclous comic strip. Watch a documentary, followed by Punk'd or some other show that doesn't require you to think. Just let your mind roam free and associate unrelated events.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi, Tucker,

Take a newspaper, cut some words out of some of the headlines and just lay them out randomly. You'll be amazed.

I've got a project going on which uses this as the starting point.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blackswan)
Trusted Member

It'll pass, it'll pass, I promise, it'll pass. If you've been writing a lot before this, then you probably just need a small break. What also seems to help if you actually write out your problems, not in a song, mind you, but just writing it out and sleeping over it usually makes it a little better the next day.  

-Laura

ReplyQuote