12-string acoustic

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi.

I've read several articles and lessons on the subject here.
But... Would you recommend a 12-string acoustic as an all-purpose instrument?

Would you say it's not appropriate for standard rock-and-roll?

Thanks for your advice

(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello again.

Can anybody with the faintest idea comment?

I'm on holiday and this is my workplace. I was about to order a guitar and would be very thankful because I'm planning not to get back here in a month!!!!

Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You should take a look at David Hodge's article on 12-strings, which includes the super "lesson" on the Allman Brothers song Melissa.

I believe he mentions that he started with a 12-string as his all-purpose guitar. Obviously it worked okay for him! :)

Personally I don't care for finger-picking on a 12-string, so I've gone with the more traditional 6. I have somewhat stubby fingers and find the narrow spacing between sets of strings makes finger-picking difficult on a 12. I am more-or-less a beginner, so your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps a little.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, thanks slejhamer.

I already read that but didn't remember the all-purpose comment.

I have a 12-string Rickenbacker and you can play anything on it other than finger-picking which should be still more difficult because the space is even narrower.

Would the difference between a 6 and 12-string acoustic be so big to make finger-picking way too difficult?

Can you more or less finger-pick on a 6 string but find it too hard on the 12-string?

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I bought myself a 12-string back in February, thought I'd be using it quite a lot....hardly ever pick it up, but it needs setting up...I adjusted the truss rod, tuned it to DGCFAD.... If you do get one, make sure it's set up properly....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that too, Vic.

If I'm honest, I want to play the acoustic 12-string mainly because David is my role model.
If he does it, it must be a reasonable way of doing things.

But I would like to be better informed on these finger-picking details.

Do you need to be very talented and is it such a big jump between a 6 and a 12-string acoustic regarding finger-picking?

Thanks everybody

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Can you more or less finger-pick on a 6 string but find it too hard on the 12-string?

That's the case for me, but everyone is different. I started with a classical guitar that had a wide neck, so jumping from that to a 12er seemed to require more work than I personally wanted to put into it.

But it's definitely possible, and there are many who play fingerstyle on a 12 string. I'd suggest you get to a store and try a few before buying.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi again, Mitch!

That's what I'm going to do

Another difficulty appears when bending or pulling off.

Thanks for your support

ReplyQuote