Clear all

2 Questions

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

First, one of my buddies has 2 acoustic electric guitars he is looking to sell cheap. One is an Ovation Celebrity I believe the CS247?? and the other is the Seagull S6 cutaway. Any opinions.
Secondly I have only playing for a month or so practice everyday. Does it get easier to switch chords with time. I have been trying to learn Wish You Were Here the easier version but, it seems that it takes my awhile to switch chords. Does this become easier?? It seems my fingers just don't know how to move quickly enough.

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It gets easier with time and practice.

Buy both, sell the one you don't want on eBay for a profit. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

They are both decent guitars so it really comes down to what feels and sounds best to you.

Yes, chord changes come with time and lots of practice. Just keep practicing the ones you know now every day and it will suddenly happen. Then move on to new ones and start the cycle over. Each time you introduce a new chord the change to and from it will take a little practice.

One way to practice a chord is to fret it, strum it, remove your fingers, then plunk them back down again. and strum again. Just keep doing that until the fingers fall in place automatically. After you get the feel for each chord then practice changing between them slow and work your speed up as you feel more comfortable and are making less mistakes.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

It gets easier with time and practice.

Buy both, sell the one you don't want on eBay for a profit. :)

That's thinking outside the box! (So to speak)

I would never have thought of buying both! It's such an excruciating decision, as both are excellent guitars. Save yourself the pain, and buy both!

I believe the Seagulls generally have little wider fretboards, (I could be wrong), which would be excellent for fingerpicking, but not so good for smaller hands. And the Seagulls are Made In Canada, (which simply cannot be a bad thing :lol:) But the Ovations are cool guitars. I like the shallow backed Ovations, which I believe are more ergonomic: less reaching around/over the lower bout. I've had my eye on both of these guitars at one time or another.

I second what Nils said: slow and patient practice (as described) will make chord changes second nature.

later,
Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does the either of these a/e need an acoustic amp? I have an Vox 30. I think I read other players use a PA. What is this?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Try 'leaving on a jet plane' instead of wish you were here...my opinion.Its much easier and has only 3 chords and teaches you the G -> C -> D chord change which is a solid foundation in chord changing.

Best luck ,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nick rates Seagulls, and IMHO you can't go wrong with an Ovation (haven't got one myself though)

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You could use your Vox amp, it doesn't have to be an acoustic amp for an acoustic guitar. People who go direct into the PA use a "direct box", something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/184302/ . As far as the Ovation or the Seagull, I owned an Ovation Celebrity. Didn't like the feel of the neck at all. Felt like a baseball bat! I couldn't play it very long, as my hands would really start to hurt. The rounded back tends to slip off your lap when you try to play sitting down also. These were things I didn't notice at the store, (impulse buy! :roll: ). I am currently saving for a Seagull. Played alot of them, and a friend of mine owns an S6. Great action and feel. The sound quality unplugged of the Seagull is alot better IMO also. The Ovation sounds good amplified. Just my opinions. :wink: Good luck.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote