Clear all

2b? lol

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, Last night i was trying to learn the "bark at the moon" solo and there is one part where you have to tremelo "~~~" and Bend the same note on the same string in the same 2 sec. So its like " 20~~ 20^^^" Get it? Well I was practicing the solo and all of the sudden when i went to bend that 20, the 2b broke off of the tremelo. I noticed that the end of the string where it was in the tremelo was cut down by about 1/4 of an inch. As in it ripped off from the tremelo holder thingy. So im guessing that when i put that string in the tremelo, i tightned that screw to tightly? or to loosly? I figured it should have been to tightly because the end ripped off. So what do you guys think?? By the way, i was using ernie ball Super slinkys. Think that could have been why? << I just removed all of my strings, scrubbed down and polished the whole guitar and now sometime soon im gonna go to my local music shop and im gonna by some ernie ball Hybrid strings, ( orange) they seem to be inbetween the thickness of slinkys, and regulars. So any ideas on why the string broke, what i should do to prevent that from happening again, and string ideas or anything would be GREATLY appreiciated. Thanks, M- Man :)

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

For those of us who don't get it...ok me... what's 2b?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

it's from Hamlet...2b or not 2b, that is the question.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

For those of us who don't get it...ok me... what's 2b?
Before reading your comment I assumed B string. Could be right or I could be wrong but that is 2b or not to 2b, Metallicaman only knows the answer.

My guess on breakage, not seated.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

2b is second string which is B. So yes the B string. Ok now any advice on what happend and what to do? :? 8)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

2b is second string which is B. So yes the B string. Ok now any advice on what happend and what to do? :? 8)

I did offer that it may not have been seated. It is also possible that it was just tired depending on when you last changed them or that there is a burr somewhere near where it broke.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

i've been using 0.09 super slinkys for years and have only broke one string in the last three yrs (AND THAT WAS AN "A").So i wouldnt worry about changing the type of string you use.If you are planning on giving your strings a good workout with the tremelo and plenty of bends you should make sure you change them regularly.If you cant afford to change them regularly eg, every 4-6 weeks then make sure you clean them everytime you play.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:38 pm

i've been using 0.09 super slinkys for years and have only broke one string in the last three yrs (AND THAT WAS AN "A").So i wouldnt worry about changing the type of string you use.If you are planning on giving your strings a good workout with the tremelo and plenty of bends you should make sure you change them regularly.If you cant afford to change them regularly eg, every 4-6 weeks then make sure you clean them everytime you play.

Ok. First of all, It was the b that broke. Second of all these strings were like 5 days old. Third of all i dont have any problem with ernie ball on any other guitar at all, it just seems that for some reason the string ripped out of the tremelo. I was asking does anyone know why it ripped out of the tremelo while bending? Was it because i tightned the 2b locking nut at the tremelo to tight or too loose. Please someone help. Sorry Nils, i Just dont know what you mean by seated, if your say that it wasnt lined up down there where it should be i KNOW it was. So the string was lined up, only 5 days old, and i tightend it pretty good so it would come out. Now the only thing i could think it is, is that that black screw that screws into the string to hold it in the tremelo was simply crushing the string way to tightly so when i went to bend it it ripped out, there fore i am missing part of the string down there. All i am asking for is for some back up on that theory or any other ideas thanks. M- man :x :x

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you said that you tighten the string at the tremelo. does that mean you have a Floyd Rose tremelo system with locking tuners?

I am missing something in your post.

your string broke at the bridge. right? and the strings were only five days old.
either something is cutting the string by the bridge, you didnt put the strings on correctly or, and this is quite probable, the string was defective.

locking a string into place wont cause it to break. strings break because they are old and worn, a burr at the bridge or nut or tuner cuts them, or they are defective.

by the description of the break it could be you didnt tighten the string correctly. did it lose tuning easily? if a string is loose in the tuner it cant stay tuned.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

My new Floyd did the same thing. It will stop breaking strings once it's broke in(polish's the bridge where the string sits), for lack of better words. Mine hasn't broke a string in six months. Also I can't say this enough make sure screw is in the block, sometimes the block will fall just a bit and when you tighten up the screw the block will get cocked and cut the string when you play.

BTW I play EB 9's as well on this guitar.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I've had that problem in the past and it was because I didn't get the string lock in well enough. So I'll go along with the not seated answer.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote