Skip to content
30-somethingish beg...

Notifications
Clear all

30-somethingish beginner wants to become pro muso!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@leonidas)
Topic starter  

Hi all, what's the oldest anyone has heard of someone learning to play guitar and subsequently managing to make a living from it? would be great to hear some inspirational stories! - 30somethingish beginner.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It can and does happen. There was a NYT story not long ago about a professor of poetry who started playing guitar and writting songs. He ended up writting a tune for Warren Zevon and his band is doing pretty well on the local scene.

But it isn't easy to make money as a musician in a local band, and learning an instrument and gaining the musical skills required to compete in your market will take years, not months.

Having the goal of someday playing in a band is great. Having the goal of making a living playing in a band and quitting your day job is probably not realistic. It is possible it will happen, but it's sort of like having the goal of picking up golf and 30 and becomming a PGA pro. Sure, it can happen, but it isn't particularly likely.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ditto what King said. If your goal is to play in a local band then yes that's doable. If your goal is to make a serious living not a great chance, but you never know.

You'll never know unless you do it!!!!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i had this same talk with my teacher,"i'm 30 something to" and i said , dude im starting to late in life to be a great guitar player, i just wanna play, and he gave some great advice, he said that may be so, but you can still make a living playing guitar even if your starting at 30, and i said how?, he said think about teaching, 40 students at 30 an hour, good money.

ReplyQuote
(@leonidas)
Topic starter  

thanks guys for all opinions, i realise its a long shot but best not to live with any regrets, eh? we all gotta dream, so if anyones got any more cool stories (good or bad - its all life experience), id love to hear them, cheers!

ReplyQuote