Clear all

Some amp suggestions please???

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For graduation I found myself the recipient of a gift card to Guitar Center. So I'd like to get a new amp. With trade-in of my old amp, I have about a $400 budget, possibly as much as $450 depending on how much they give me for the Ibanez amp.

Tomorrow I plan on going to the guitar center and playing most amps in my price range.

What I'd like from whoever reads this, is a suggestion of a good amp in that range that has a good clean channel, and a good overdrive channel. Effects aren't neccesary, although reverb would be nice. I wold also like something pedal-friendly. I'm looking at the Vox AD50VT Valvetronix amp. I've played it and I like it, but i'm wary of all the presets and stuff cos i get confused. I want something straightforward. It would be nice if it were a hybrid, or all-tube, but i dont think i can get that for this money.

So, suggestions please???

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

great to see some poeple acrually have guitar spending money

I dont have any suggestions but if you go to musiciansfirend.com and you go to amps, you can select different types of amps and you can find all the amps in your price range. So itll give you all the priced amps in one categoryt of amps.
Hope it helped

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I just got the VOX valvetronix 15 (great amp, BTW), it's exactly the same as the 50 except for the wattage and I think the speaker. The amp is a lot easier to use than you might think. I've had it for four days or so and once I sat down with it things came naturally. Just tinker around with it for a day and read the manual that comes with it if you need to.

Don't be scared by the presets, you don't even need to use them. In fact, I only started tinkering around with them yesterday. Before that I was messing around and programming the channels to get my own tones. Just select an amp model, adjust the gain, volume, bass, mid, and treble like any other amp.

You can turn off all the effects by hitting the bypass button. The edit knob adjusts how much of the effect to put into your signal, the tap button you literally tap to set the speed of the effect. The light next to it tells you how fast the effect is currently going. You can always ask one of the sales weenies in the shop to show you how it works.

I would also recomend you get the footswitch. It's a pain to try and hit that chanel button or bypass with your toe.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The Vox amp is currently leading the pack, but I'm also intrigued by the Roland Blues Cube. I liked that amp alot too.

It's good that the Vox isn't too hard to use. Just stting with it in the store 2 weeks ago I thought it seemed overly complicated for me...im very impatient. I'm also going to look at some used amps. I like the Vox because it's very versatile and i liked some of the models, but modeling amps in general dont appeal to me. I'd rather have the real thing.

Anyways, thanks for any suggestions, I'll let you all know tomorrow night what I decided on.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Along the lines of less diverse, more straight ahead, my big thumbs up for the Fender Blues Jr. and the Peavey Classic 30. Both all tube amps in the 4-500 range, both great amps.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I recently checked out amps and purchased a Peavey Classic 30 - all tube plenty of kick and the right price ($425.00 USD).

My second choice was the Fender Blues Jr. as indicated in Undercat's response.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check them both out as well...

Anyone own a Roland Blues Cube?

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

It looks like the Blues Cube is discontinued....

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

It's good that the Vox isn't too hard to use. Just stting with it in the store 2 weeks ago I thought it seemed overly complicated for me...im very impatient. I'm also going to look at some used amps. I like the Vox because it's very versatile and i liked some of the models, but modeling amps in general dont appeal to me. I'd rather have the real thing.

I actually chose the vox over a blues Jr because of the price and the tone in comparison. The vox may be a modeling amp, but if it sounds good go with it, remember, it does have a tube to warm up your signal. I was watching it glow after I cranked it up last night. Just buy with your ears, if it gives you tone you like then go for it even if it is a modeling amp.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

the 2 I would recommend would be the Peavey Special 212 and the Fender Princeton Chorus, both great amps in the 4-500 dollar price range

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

After playing about 20 amps, from Fenders to Crates to Marshalls to Voxes to Behringers, I came home with the Vox AD30VT.

It was almost a Marshall MG50something. But the Vox won. I was considering the AD50VT, but 50 watts just seemed unnecessary for me. I ordered the footswitch, so it should be in soon. I'll take some pictures of my new rig soon for you all to see.

Thanks for the input, guys

ReplyQuote