Agile guitar

45 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has played or owns an agile AL2800. Im seriously considering buying one and would just like some opinions on it. I have read the reviews on harmony central and I'm impressed. Just looking for some opinions here.

I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere up in northern alberta, so I want to make the fairly informed decision before getting any guitar up here.

Also I have no way to test out the guitar personaly as we don't have any dealers around here

Thanks for the input
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i am also thinking about getting one of these or a slightly different model. i would like to hear from some GN peeps on Rondo and their products.

Gibsons Quality control lately has been neither quality or control from what i have been reading lately. for those prices even replaceing the pups and tuners would be a good deal.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Alas, you will not find much info on those in these forums. I tried... :? I can tell you that I'm gonna go to Rondo in the next couple of weeks while on my vacation and I will try to fill you in. Until then, go to the Harmony Central forums, and type in "Agile" or "Rondo" into the search box. That'll keep you busy for a long time. :wink:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oops, I forgot to tell you what I know! :lol: The only retailer of these guitars is Rondo music, so there is no middleman. Also, it's a small company so there's not much costs for executives, etc... I think its about the smae quality as any other MIK guitar, but at a much much lower cost, because of the things I've said before. For instance, the 300 dollar AL2800 could very much have a 400 or 500 dollar price tag if it was an Epiphone or other famous brand. Hope I could help. BTW, here a spec sheet: http://www.rondomusic.netlspec.html/

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I think they're a little overhyped. People consistently expect to buy them and get a high quality product, but the end result is that you get what you pay for.

Will it be playable? Yes, will it be as nice as a $1000 guitar? No way. Here are a few things you can commonly expect: lousy setup, cheapo electronics, cheapo tuners, plastic nut, plywood body, mediocre fretwork, etc. Yes, they're cheap, but you get what you pay for, and the kicker is that you don't get to play before you buy. I'd double check that return policy, and then have the unit inspected IMMEDIATELY by a good tech or luthier if you decide to buy one.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I'd take the trouble, with an Epi, you get some semblance of a warranty and a name to fall back on, and probably most important, you get to play before you buy.

Buyer beware.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Will it be playable? Yes, will it be as nice as a $1000 guitar? No way. Here are a few things you can commonly expect: lousy setup, cheapo electronics, cheapo tuners, plastic nut, plywood body, mediocre fretwork, etc. Yes, they're cheap, but you get what you pay for, and the kicker is that you don't get to play before you buy. I'd double check that return policy, and then have the unit inspected IMMEDIATELY by a good tech or luthier if you decide to buy one.

No, of course it's not going to be a 1000 dollar guitar for a fraction of the price, but IMo you are wrong about many things of these guitars. Lets take the Agile St-802 for instance, because I plan on buying that guitar anyway. First of all, I don't think Gotoh 18:1 tuners are exactly cheapo tuners, maybe you and I have a different view on that though. Wilkinson tremelo bridge. Plastic nut, nope its a graphite nut. Plywood body, wrong again. Two piece solid alder, looks bookmatched too. I don't even think Fender MIM Strats have two piece bodies, i heard somewhere that they sometimes were three piece. And for the record, a Canadian maple neck(BTW Canadian wood is really great for the money). Also, the guy at Rondo has an exellent, almost perfect, reputation on returning. Heck, he even posts his customer complaints! I have heard that the pickups do suck on it, but so do the MIM pickups(Belive me, from experiance), and the pots are inexpensivly replacible anyway even if the pots suck. Plus, sunburst finish( 405 dollars, I belive for that finish in MIM). Sometimes, not always, the brand doesn't matter. Oh yeah, all for 160 dollars cheaper than a MIM strat of the same finish. Yep, its only 240 bucks as opposed to the 400 bucks that you'll have to pay for the MIM in that finish. That'll pay for a decent setup, fret dress, etc., the pots being replaced, the string trees being replaced with roller tuners, new saddles, strap locks, etc, etc.... Here's the MIM: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/510000/

And here's the Agile: http://www.rondomusic.net/st802w.html

Compare the spec's... I highly doubt that the MIM can better than the Agile with the upgrades paid with the money saved.... call me crazy, but I think that the Agile is a better buy for 240 dollars.. :roll: Don't get me wrong, it is definitly not an American strat or anything like that, but for the money, I'll go with the Agile and you can go with the Fender.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh yeah, I'm also gonna go up there in a few weeks to play 'em and the probably buy one if I like it.

So, I think the only serious thing wrong with the Agile is the name on the headstock, (and the pickups, but who knows, maybe that guy was just picky?)
8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

stole my thunder yoyo, :lol: i've already read all that can be found on the internet about these guitars and Rondo music so i'm up to date on the alleged quality.
i agree that they seem to be well put together and Rondo has a great reputation if you can believe what you read. i can't wait to see what you learn from your visit.

i bought one of the OE-30s from MF for $149 (335 style semi hollow) that was made in indonesia and i am impressed with the craftsmanship and quality of the work. imo Gibson and Fender better step up soon and stop resting on their laurals because these folks overseas are serious about the products and they are making incredible gains into the market share.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Exactly, the guitars overseas are getting better and better for less and less money... I really can't tell the diference on some USA guitars and some higher priced overseas guitars and I'm not just saying that too say that.. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

I'm pretty sure Ricochet has an Aglie guitar, and is very happy with it, as I remember.

Maybe try PMing him, although I haven't seen him about for a week or so...

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I agree that overseas guitars are getting really well bad. I have a Jay Turser Les Paul, and other then the tuners, its astounding.

Agile guitars have always caught my interest, I want to but the Tiger Eye finished Les Paul.

Ricochet does have one I'm pretty sure, I think it may have P-90's too.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I agree that overseas guitars are getting really well bad.

Are you saying they're bad? :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

No offense, but almost all guitars are made in the same place nowadays. There are like three different factories, and all your really paying for when you buy someone elses over another (this does exclude overseas guitars) you're basically paying for their advertising budget.

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

No offense, but almost all guitars are made in the same place nowadays. There are like three different factories, and all your really paying for when you buy someone elses over another (this does exclude overseas guitars) you're basically paying for their advertising budget.
No offense? It's true! I learned a couple of months ago that Samick makes tons of other guitars that aren't its own brand. Thats another reason why it mostly doesn't matter whats on the headstock, it should be the tone, playability, and quality that matters!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

And BTW, I couldn't be more offended by that post! :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3