Notifications
Clear all

Agile guitar

45 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

Iunno. I basically post no offense before anything I post.

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

no offense, but i couldn't be more unoffended :P ,
one of the threads over at Harmony stated the same thing, the consensus is that the Agiles are also made there.
also in the same thread the opinion was that the Epi's and Fenders coming over would somehow be better because they were given a more thorough going over and were set up better.
what a joke. if that was true then you would think that the American made stuff would be perfect,
i just bought the top of the line Strat (50th Anniversary deluxe) from the production shop in Corona and had to return 4 different guitars before i found one i would accept. the salesman at MF said that they were getting lots of returns and that Gibson was even worse.

it's really sad how QC has dropped lately.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

it's really sad how QC has dropped lately.
Among my many tasks at work, programming machines, running the machine, tech support and also help engineer the new machines. I am also the Lead Internal Auditor of the company (ISO 9001: 2000 Certified) and one of the most easily overlooked areas is Quality Control. I've come to the conclusion that it comes down to the personnel you hire and the lack of training involved. Mostly lack of training but, you always seem to have those people that just don't care OR you sometimes find that the company's standards are set to low. There are other variables (i.e. production process etc...) but, QC seems to be a weak point in most companies.

In the end, the QC will make or break a company.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

In the end, the QC will make or break a company.

Exactly! Gibson, Martin, Fender(before CBS of course), and many other leading companys got a reputation on QC. That's why Epiphone and Squier are a heck of alot more famous than Samick or any other budget manufactuer even though they might not be any better than Samick or whatever. It's because people know Gibsn, and Fender(or at least their designs) and think that it will be a better quality product because of the reputation of Gibson or Fender..

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

In 2001 (maybe 2000 or 2002), Samick apparently built 60% of all the guitars produced in the world during that year. Don't ask where the figure came from, but I've heard it from more than one "reliable" source (who possibly all got it from Samick).

The fact that they are all built in the same factory has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the product. Many years ago, I worked in a factory that produced, amongst other things, jams and marmalades. We produced both the highest quality (e.g Rose's Lime Marmalade, Chiver's Raspberry) and the lowest (jam used for filling biscuits and cakes).

I recently had the opportunity to play an SX LP Studio (Rondo's "budget" line) in Wine Red. The cost savings were evident on the bridge and stop tail - the chroming was not the best in the world and it was put on top of metal that really should have had better finishing. Having said that, it in no way seemed to affect the playability of the guitar (unfortunately, I didn't have time to spend time to put it through an amp) and it was just passing interest as the guitar had some neck damage - not serious, just unsightly. The rest of the guitar seemed to be well finished, with no signs of glue or paint overruns. The neck played very well and the factory setup was a little high (for my taste, anyway), but had no buzz anywhere that I heard.

My two penneth - don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

In 2001 (maybe 2000 or 2002), Samick apparently built 60% of all the guitars produced in the world during that year. Don't ask where the figure came from, but I've heard it from more than one "reliable" source (who possibly all got it from Samick).
I recently had the opportunity to play an SX LP Studio (Rondo's "budget" line) in Wine Red. The cost savings were evident on the bridge and stop tail - the chroming was not the best in the world and it was put on top of metal that really should have had better finishing. Having said that, it in no way seemed to affect the playability of the guitar (unfortunately, I didn't have time to spend time to put it through an amp) and it was just passing interest as the guitar had some neck damage - not serious, just unsightly. The rest of the guitar seemed to be well finished, with no signs of glue or paint overruns. The neck played very well and the factory setup was a little high (for my taste, anyway), but had no buzz anywhere that I heard.

My two penneth - don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em.

That's crazy! 60 percent! Jeez, I thought it was like 20 or 40 or something... I haven't heard as much great remarks about SX than Agile(obviously), but it seems to be that SX is a average to decent guitar and a great value for the money; I can agree without even playing one: Even if everything else on it it bad, you still cant beat a alder body strat for 99 bucks. The main comparison is the Squier bullet, which, of course, HAS PLYWOOD! No comparison, in my opinion, BTW, the Bullet sucks; I'm renting one right now.... The Agile's have gotten even better reviews, and have gotton a "outstanding" rating on the Harmony Central forums for guitar for the money...

I agree with your last quote too. :wink:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'm gonna bump this because tomorrow I'm gonna go there!! I'm really excited! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good , i've been looking forward to this. I hope you are able to compare several from each price range/model. I'm particularly interested in the AL-2500 and the AL-2800 models. good luck and i hope you find a "Keeper" :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure Ricochet has an Aglie guitar, and is very happy with it, as I remember.

Maybe try PMing him, although I haven't seen him about for a week or so...Yeah, I've got one of their semihollowbody AS-820 model with P-90s. I'm extremely happy with it. Several pro players around here who've examined and played it really like it, too. It's a great guitar for the money, and has none of the flaws undercat suggested.

I just posted a brief sound clip of it in the recording section, BTW.
("Answering Machine Blues No. 2")

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Well, I went there, and Rondo is more than just Agile guitars! They have plenty of Fenders(Mustangs for $530!!!! :shock: ) and other brands at great prices! But, I'm here to talk about the Agiles.. I played every one of them, and they all played incredibly well for the money! The action and intonation on a few might need minor tweaking, but nothing really noticible, actually the action was better than on most guitars I've played under $500... I really couldn't try them plugged in because they were showcaseing a PA, and the only amps avalible were 60+ watts! They all had exellent acoutic's(Espesially the Set-neck models aka Les Pauls) unplugged and I was really suprised at the resonance of them all...

Okay, now on to my little friend... :lol: I will post a more in depth review when I get back, but I don't have the time right now.. Overall, two thumbs up!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@larry-wallwart)

I LOVE my Agile

I have played several Agiles and they are all great guitars. They blow the Epiphones out of the water.

http://guitarforum.net

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Wow, nice Ric copy! I didn't get a chance to try the 6 string version of that, but I played the 12 string and it rules! :) Sorry about not posting a more in depth review, it's just I'm in a hotel right now, and I'm gonna do it when I get home. I got a quick question though; do you think a double box will hold up on an airline flight? I didn't get a case because the one I wanted was out of stock, and the other one was no padding at all.. I'm gonna try to check it, and the double box seems pretty sturdy... :?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh, BTW, welcome to guitarnoise, Larry! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Agile I have is this one:

http://www.rondomusic.net/820.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

NICE!!! :) Well, I'm back in Austin and its not damaged! 8) It plays great, a few buzzes on the lower frets, but again, its on every guitar I've played under 500... Gorgeous finish, it really shows the alder in all its beauty... :wink: Seriously, the finish is top notch, no flaws whatsoever, and the two piece solid alder body is bookmatched! It doesn't say it on the site, but you can tell from the picture, and its on every one... :) I decided to save a few bucks(40) and got one on clearance, no apparent changes except that the fingerboard is sort of darker than the neck, and the salesguy said it was of a little lesser quality, but I couldn't tell... overall, excellent quality.. I really like the Wilkinson tremelo too! My only complaints about it are that it looks different than a regular tremelo(I'm talking out of my arse on this one... :lol: ), and that the whammy bar falls out when you turn it upside down and shake it(the bar doesn't screw down, it just slides in).. but I don't think I'm gonna be turning my guitar upside down and shaking it at a gig anyways... Coupled with the Grover tuners, it stays in exellent tune.. The neck pocket was as solid a set neck.. So, I think I've talked enough gibberish, now to the Review! 8)

1. Bookmatched, solid two piece alder body beneath a beautiful three tone sunburst finish: I give it a 4 out of 5 because the finish doesn't go all the way up the top cutaway, but again, I'm talking out of my arse :lol:
2. Your average joe pickups and electronics(think MIM strat, in my opinion, they sound the same)a pearloid pickguard, complete with pearloid spring cover(personally, I think this is a cheesy move, but thats just me), silver hardware, nothing special: I give it a 3 out of five(average)
3. A Wilkinson tremelo, and Grover tuners(haven't had to tune at all in the three or so days I've had it, including all the dive bombs I've been doing to it to try to make it go out of tune ): I give it a five out of five (so far, it's got the job done without any problems)
4. A Satin finished (very comfortable, it doesn't gunk up with sweat after a while like the gloss finished MIM one does) Canadian maple neck with a who knows where fretboard(doesnt matter to me actually, I haven't had a problem with it), jumbo frets, and a Graphite nut: I give it a four out of five solely on the fact that the salesguy said it was of lesser quality, other than that, a five out of five.

All for a whopping price of 200 dollars.. On the bang for your buck scale: a five out of five. Overall, two thumbs up! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3