A band? Two? Possibly!

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Had a couple interesting things happen this week.

First, out of the blue.. one of the guys that I used to play with in Mojo Monday (some of you might remember our very short stint) called to tell me that he and the drummer were leaving the band they were in so that they could start up a new band. They wanted to know if I wanted to play again or not. I think I would be singing and playing rhythm. Probably half covers and half originals.

Secondly, I was at a get together with some friends this week. I knew that a couple of them played guitar and there has been talk of us all getting together. One of the guys is really excited about getting it going. They have guitars, drums, and a bass player. Not sure where I would fit in with this group of guys and I have never actually played with them before.

As a matter of music tastes, I match up with the second group the best. They play mostly rock, kind of 80s metal. The down side is that I think my quiet personality would get swallowed up in that group of guys. I might be wrong, but I am not sure.. Still looking forward to giving it a shot.

As a matter of familiarity I am excited about the first option. I dont match up quite as well musically with them. Although I do like alot of different music. However, I dont feel intimidated at all playing with them.

I am happy with both option coming more and more available and either way or BOTH, I will be very happy.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm didn't realize you were more of a metal guy cuz I remember the stuff you were doing with the other band but it almost sounds like either one would be a good choice.

I would and it's only me tend to go with your friends but the only if, would be what they wanted you to do. If it wasn't what you wanted then you could always fall back with the guys you used to play with.

Sounds like you have options either way so good luck whichever way you go.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

LOL I can understand the confusion. In reality, there isnt an genre that I dont like other than that screamo rock, gravely stuff. I think they actually call that metal now, but its not what I call metal.

Back then I was doing alot of country, and that is what I was listening too the most and it also seemed easier to play so I went with that. But what I really want to play is 80s and 90s rock, blues, and an occasional ballad.

Anyway, that is why you might hear me into one type of music at one point and time and something completely different at another point in time.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Maybe you can start a new genre Country-Metal?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Maybe you can start a new genre Country-Metal?

That would involve pick strum heavy distortion...or something like that.

Good Luck in whichever band you are, Geoo.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

country metal: your wife leaves in your pickup and takes your dog, so you go to church for solace, but the minister turns into satan and eats your face.

this song needs to be written, and i think rahul is the man for the job.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

country metal: your wife leaves in your pickup and takes your dog, so you go to church for solace, but the minister turns into satan and eats your face.

ROFL.. I'd buy it!!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

ROFL.. I'd buy it!!

Good stuff! :lol:

Good luck with your new prospects Jim! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Classic! You should put that in your signature, Jason! :lol:

Two bands, huh, Jim? That's just greedy! Seriously, all the best whichever way it pans out.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Sure, I will try my best Jason. This might be my path to glory afterall...

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

LOL I can understand the confusion. In reality, there isnt an genre that I dont like other than that screamo rock, gravely stuff. I think they actually call that metal now, but its not what I call metal.

Back then I was doing alot of country, and that is what I was listening too the most and it also seemed easier to play so I went with that. But what I really want to play is 80s and 90s rock, blues, and an occasional ballad.

Anyway, that is why you might hear me into one type of music at one point and time and something completely different at another point in time.
Thats Hardcore ^^ ( or Screamo xD )

And yeah alot of people call that heavy Metal, but thats actually just Hardcore or Screamo, and then there is Metalcore ( Metal + Screamo).

But Metal is more like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, stuff like that.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hurray!! We're meeting within a week.

So far I am playing with the guys I used to play with (Mojo Monday). I am not as excited about the songs they have chosen and the one song I suggested they didnt seem to like (Hey Hey What Can I Do) but I dont care right now.. Just looking forward to playing again and their songs arent so bad. Most of them are in the ESD.

Let you know how it goes.

Jim

ReplyQuote