Notifications
Clear all

a new birthday geetar

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Happy Birthday man! That's quite the gift.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Happy Birthday, birthday buddy! Mine was yesterday too. :D

I haven't gone to get my present yet, but my darling wife is going to go to Guitar Center with me later today to pick out something new. I haven't decided if I want a new guitar, or if I'll go for some new pedals and/or an amp...we'll see how it goes.

Congrats on the new Strat! That's a fantatic guitar, you'll love playing it. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Happy Birthday U2 and Pilot!!!

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

heeey thanks guys! and happy birthday to you too pilot. i hope you pick out something great. the pictures are on the way, i'm currently working on setting it up, and when it's all done, i'll take the pics. while ive been adjusting the strings and intonation, i just couldnt help but be amazed at how good it sounds acoustically. i personally buy electrics and go heavily on how they sound w/o the amp, and this one, which i had no hand in picking out, sounds better than both my Ibanez and my Squier. i've had it for less than 24 hours and it's already becoming my main squeeze of the electric realm (it still doesnt have what it takes to beat out the Martin for my #1 baby though).

ok, back to the guitar, im almost done tinkering!

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wellll, i tried to take pictures for y'all, but for some reason none of them will come out right. the guitar either looks black, or totally blurry. maybe if i get it out in some nice bright sunlight...but i work all day and when i get home the sunlight's gone. just imagine your normal stratocaster with a wine red finish that looks purple or black in some lights. it has a bit of a metallic appearance to it too.

anyways, i finised settin' er up and here's what i did:

- i added 2 more springs to the trem bridge. i much prefer the stiffer feel with more springs.

- cleaned the fretboard, getting all the "in-store junk" off the frets. they were a bit grungy from dust and people playing it at GC.

- straightened the neck. it had a little too much relief and now it's only slightly bowed. very slightly.

- new strings! d'addario .10s.

- intonated it and made sure the strings were all set up nicely. i had to raise the height on the low E just a tad.

- finally, polished it, slapped on a new brown leather strap, plugged in to my Vox and let rip.

ok, so this is my 3rd electric guitar. i also have an Ibanez GRX70 and a Squier 51. I enjoy them both quite a bit, but i have a feeling that i wont touch them for a while. this strat is just amazing. totally amazing. it's my first guitar that has no humbuckers, and i love the single coils. they seem to be a bit on the hot side. i know that recently the debate over squiers/fenders etc etc has been raging, and i gotta say the MIM Strat blows the squier out of the water. easily. the ibanez too. not that the squier and ibanez are bad, they are good guitars, but they cant even come close to comparing to the MIM strat. and i imagine that my MIM strat has nothing on an MIA strat, but really, i dont care to find out. i havent put this thing down in days and im gonna be sad when i go to work tomorrow (i took today off) and i cant play it all day. sigh.

anyways, that's my report...i love this guitar.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

happy bday.
very nice guitar. I certainly understand why the others will sit for awhile.

I am a single coil fan, totally. the sound of an american strat is beautiful. I hope you are inspired.
now you need a Tubescreamer. they are a greart match.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Aside from the 22nd fret, I don't think you'd notice much difference from a MIM and MIA strat. They are solid guitars. Maybe for your next birthday you'll get that Fender G-Dec modelling amp!

Awesome. Play some Maiden for me.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2