Acoustic Guitar Feedback

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@japike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.

Perhaps someone here can help me with a feedback problem I am having with my acoustic guitar. I jam one night a week with a couple of other guys - one on electric guitar, one on bass and one on drums. Our "play" room is a small room added to the inside of a garage. There is barely room for us and our equipment. I would like to add acoustic guitar to our arsenal, but as soon as we start to play I get really bad feedback.

I have heard of a feedback buster that fits into the sound hole. Do those really work? Are there other solutions?

Thanks
Jeff

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Difficult situation. Sound hole blockers make an acoustic a bit more resistant to feedback, but will not work miracles. Essentially, a blocker will allow you to increase your volume a bit more before the onset of feedback as compared to the open soundhole situation. A small room is really a worst case scenario for amp'ed acoustic guitar feedback. Electronic solutions (acoustic guitar pre-amps with FB suppression) work fairly well in stage settings. But once again, a small room is tricky, as even small positional changes create a highly variable FB situation. So set it/forget it-type electronic notches may not help unless you are able to maintain a fairly fixed position in the room.

Hollowbody electrics have the same FB problem. Some performers have stuffed them with towels or socks to lessen the tendency to howl. Unfortunately, an acoustic flattop won't sound very good stuffed.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@japike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, that was my fear. The guy at the local guitar store thought the feedback buster was the way to go, but he hasn't heard the sound in that little room.

I'm not very familiar with electronic solutions, but they don't sound very promising either. By the time we pack a couple of amps, a PA, drums, music stands, mic stands, guitars, etc. into that room there isn't alot of space left, but it's still hard to stay in one place when the music starts.

Well, we'll keep on jam'in with the electrics then.

Thanks for the help gnease,
Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I'm afraid it'll be of little help in your situation, but IMHO the best electronic solution is the notch filter. They vary from analog Veroboard DIY lash-ups to expensive digital rackmount units, but are often found in dedicated acoustic signal processors.

One of the best, and an affordable one too, is the Korg AX10A, where you can assign the notch filter to the expression pedal, and adjust the frequency of the notch according to conditions.

If you're interested in what a notch filter actually does, this is a good explanation of the basic analog version. The digital ones just model this, but you can move the notch frequency up and down to suit your own guitar and stage situation.

How much a notch filter would help you I don't know, and I'd hesitate to suggest you go out and buy a signal processor just for that feature alone, when it might not be that much help. If you could borrow a notch filter (of any kind) and experiment it would be best. However, anything but a DIY version will cost considerably more than a soundhole-fitted "feedback suppressor". Worth thinking about, though, if you ever feel the need for other FX, like limiter, delay or echo on your acoustic - then you might be able to justify a unit like the Korg or one of its competitors.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have a soundhole plug for my Ovation S771 electric/acoustic and it works perfect. We practice in a basement and play at very loud volumes and I have no problem with feedback whatsoever, except if I really boost the lows too much. We have our whole PA setup including monitors which usually cause the most feedback problems. I can get my guitar up so loud that the others complain. So it works very well for me.

A soundhole plug will affect your live acoustic sound a little, but it is super easy to remove and put back in place again.

This is the one I own. It's made of a thick flexible rubber and will not hurt your guitar's finish. You have to lift your strings a little to slip it in or out. For $6 it's well worth the money.

FBR2 Feedback Buster

I believe this will fit most acoustic guitar soundholes.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@japike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing acoustic guitar for quite some time, but only recently plugged it in and I only recently started playing electric guitar. Feedback and notch filters and such are a whole different world for me, so thanks for the help.

Since I just bought a new guitar, and a new computer, and braces for the kids teeth I'll have to pass on the Korg AX10A. Besides, I don't understand a thing about how it works.

I think I will try the feedback buster on the recommendation of Wes. At $6 it would be a simple and inexpensive solution. Hope is still alive. Our next session is later this week. I will give you guys a review.

Thanks guys,
Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

search for "lute holes" at musiciansfriend.com

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

I've got a feedback buster on my Ibanez 12string acoustic/electric and it works well, even when practicing in a small room with the whole band. Easy and inexpensive solution.

ReplyQuote
(@japike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replys Zacharias and zaiga.

The Lute Holes look realy cool. I think on the recommendation of Wes Inman and zaiga I will give the Feedback Buster a try. If that works I may take another look at the Lute Holes.

I'll let you guys know how the Buster works for me.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'll let you guys know how the Buster works for me.

Jeff

Good -- let us know the details of your set-up, as well: particular guitar/pup, amplification -- any EFX. Everything affects the outcome.

Speaking of EFX -- some of those on this forum have opt'ed for acoustic simulators/modelers for their electrics and been happy with those.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Those lute holes look beautiful and (from what I read) sound a little better than the black rubber plugs. I never knew about that product.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I use the feedback buster, it's cheap and it works.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I've had good luck with one as well.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@japike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Here is the promised review.

It worked great! I could get it to feedback if I stood in certain places, but in most of the room I am feedback free!

However, the bad news - it really sounds bad through that amp. We turned off all effects, and twisted the equalizer knobs off the amp but, could not get it to sound like an acoustic guitar. So, maybe there is a new acoustic amp in my future.

Thanks for all of the help,
Jeff

ReplyQuote