Skip to content
Acoustic players on...

Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic players only - when you started playing....

38 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

crummy beater hand me down no name high action piece of crap acoustic

that deserves an acronym

CBHMDNNHAPOCA

maybe we can sort that into a better combo....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just wanted to play my favorite songs, I had the image of sitting around a campfire.
I own 2 acoustics and really love playing them. I bought an electric and played around with it a bit but I soon realised I really didn't like playing electric. I get much more enjoyment from acoustic, especially fingerstyle.

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

I'm not really goal oriented, I just had a desire to make some music, since I spend so much time listening to it and marvelling at people both professional and amateur who can play and sing.

I just wanted to play and sing to entertain myself. I am discovering that I have a real urge to entertain others too.

Probably the best thing that has come of it is an outlet for my energies that might otherwise have been spent in less positive ways.

gee, this is like therapy.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Being a HUGE music fan, I decided I wanted to take part in playing instead of watching others. I also wanted an outlet for these tunes that pop into my head sometimes. My main goal is writing my own stuff though.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

1- I never saw Jimi Hendrix holding an acoustic guitar, so I definitely didn't want to be him.

2- I just always wanted to play guitar, among other things and finally got around to it at 41 years old.

3- I thought I wanted to play acoustic, so that is the first thing I bought. My guitar collection fluctuates but right now I have 5. 2 of them are acoustic. I still pick them up once in a while but I now prefer electric and practice daily with a break once in a while for a couple/few days. I was off from work today (shift work) and played 4 of the 5 guitars. The 5th one is a strat under re-construction or I would have picked up that one too! 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I spent the first fifty years of me life thinking I couldn't carry a tune in a wash tub. Then one day I found out I actually could sing. Then I needed something to accompany my singing. Guitar seemed like the most Versatile instrument. I also had a friend who volunteered to teach me to play. So that cemented the choice of an accompaniment instrument.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

was heavy into Cat Stevens and other acoustic stuff like CSN&Y

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

crummy beater hand me down no name high action piece of crap acoustic

that deserves an acronym

CBHMDNNHAPOCA

maybe we can sort that into a better combo....
Well... if we take out the redundant words. And the 'hand me down' bit, pieces of crap can be purchased directly for your own use. We can boil it down to this...

Piece Of Crap High Action Beater or

POCHAB

I think that just might catch on. Might even be trademark material. :lol:

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

All the songs I liked to listen to growing up, usually had lots of finger picking acoustic guitars, so I thought I would take a crack at learning them myself. It's alot of fun, and I hope to keep doing it till I can't strum a guitar anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I wanted to learn to play Smoke on the Water, and it didn't matter that the only guitar I had was a $25 acoustic POS.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

My friends were doing it and having fun while doing it!

*wife buys guitar for me* Thank you, Shanna! I love ya!

Hey, how did you play that......? Yeah that, now can you slow it down so I can learn it please!

The quest is long and not forgiving!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

well, 2 of my 8 guitars are acoustic,( Nick, I'm almost half way caught up with you LOL) so.....It started in 1967, I heard Born to be wild on the radio and I knew I had to play guitar!!!! a few years later( Jan. 1970) I had a Harmony student acoustic guitar, my grandmother taught me my first chords( D, Dm. Am. C, and G) that's all she could remember :D and I was a legend in my own mind from then on :lol: 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

I had relocated from a big city to a small town at age 17. By 20, I had made a couple of friends who played country in a local dance band. I had also picked up a real liking for Johnny Cash & Hank Williams music.
So I got a thick-necked Kay acoustic, and one of my friends got me started on basic chords....that's 42 years ago. :wink:
Within a year, I had a DeArmond pickup in the soundhole, and was learning lead guitar from LP's, as the band needed a lead player.
Concentrated on Luther Perkins style picking, then moved on to 'Buckaroos' and 'Strangers' type lead, in a couple of my own bands, on a "very-used" old Jazzmaster, later on (1976) a new Strat.
Never lost my liking for acoustic however, and did quite a few vocals every gig with the band.
Now I'm pretty well back to acoustic all the time, (sometimes amplified),backing up fiddle groups and such, and doing a few vocals. :)

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

way to go with the classic country. Luther Perkins, brother of Carl, is a really fine player that hardly gets mentioned these days.

he is shown playing with a very young Johnnie Cash on Tex Ritter"s Texas Ranch Party DVD.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3