Notifications
Clear all

Advice on guitar for 14 yr old (girl)

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@tom-berk)
Topic starter  

My daughter has a Fender squire, playing in a band 2 x a week and private lessons once a week. Likes heavier rock ( Nirvana, AC/DC, etc.. which is cool with me.) Someone recommended Ibanez RG 350 DX . And being a teenage girl ...color can be a factor. Currently has Marshall MG 30 dfx amp. Going to Guitar Center and Sam Ash nearby. Any thoughts of decent priced guitar she'll grow into for a few years? Thanx

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Just take her to some shops and try some guitars in the 350-600ish price range. You'll find lots of intermediate guitars that'll last her for a while.

Oh, and don't rule out simply getting her an amp upgrade. A low end guitar will sound much better through a great amp, the same is not true for a great guitar through a crappy amp. Take her current guitar with you when you go shopping, plug into some amps and see what happens. Buy with your ears.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Ibanez is producing incredible guitar at a price point that would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. It's a good bet to stick with them. Cort also produces excellent guitars at a very reasonable price.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Check out Daisy Rock, too - built for smaller hands

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I would reccomend buying used (you actually can get a great guitar at a lower price) but, as being 15, I know that it probably not work with her because of the probable flaws(scratchs, dents, stuff like that. It doesn't affect the tone at all unless its really big) on the outside. Whoever said Daisy rock did make a good suggestion, as they actually are great guitars from what I've heard, but I think the flowers will kinda being cheesy for a girl that like AC/DC. Take her to the guitar store, let her try out all the guitars she can get her hands on. If she likes one, and has played it alot, go home and check out the Harmony Central Reviews: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/ .. if they're good, go for it! :) or reccomendations on the guitar, try to get a humbucker in it ( a humbucker is like two Strat pickups put together so the cancel the hum) because Nirvana, and AC/DC both mainly used humbuckers... BTW welcome to guitarnoise! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I want to second two points made here.

First -- definitely listen to her current guitar through amp upgrades. Amps have a much greater impact on sound than most people believe.

Second -- Daisy Rock is a good guitar. Not great, but good. They've got a nice price point, have a design that many girls like, sound good, and fit smaller hands well.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

If you're looking for a better amp for the same price, the Vox Valvetronix line and the Roland Cube line come highly recommended. Lot cheaper than just a new guitar, the Valvetronix has the added bonus of modeling different amps and cabinets (in case she gets bored of just a "Marshall" sound).

Later on, go for the 350-600 price range guitars. I think the first, best step is a new amp, because she can always get new guitars - but when you get a good amp, you can make a bad guitar sound good!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@tom-berk)
Topic starter  

Appreciate all the feedback on guitars ( even though some recomm. replacing the amp purchased this past Christmas is not what we/she wanted to hear ) She likes the Marshall amp ..Just found out fellow worker ( I live outside Chicago) is tight with the family who owns Washburn. Have a chance to go to factory this weekend. Any positives or negs. before we go. She can demo any guitar and get good deal. Thanks again and has really helped.. Tom..

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Folks around here seem to be pretty pumped on Washburns. My own experience with them is limited, but several folks around here are into them. Haven't seen ElectraBlue recently, but I'm pretty sure she has one and is really into it.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Kid down the street that I show stuff to sometimes got a Washburn WI 64. I only messed about with it for a half hour or so, but it is a really nice piece of work.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I have a Washburn strat copy, model WS-6. This model has single coil pickups in the neck and middle positions and a humbucker in the bridge position.

I'm really quite pleased with the guitar. The quality of construction is excellent, and it plays and feels like a strat (well, not when using the humbucker :) ) This is the first guitar I bought and even those friends who've played for decades agreed with me. That was about 4 years ago and I don't see myself replacing this guitar.

I haven't played any other Washburns, but this one is a beauty.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I, too would recomend a Vox Valvetronix amp. I got one just last week with a new Fender strat, it's a great little amp.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I, too would recomend a Vox Valvetronix amp. I got one just last week with a new Fender strat, it's a great little amp.

He just said she wanted a guitar, and not an amp... :P

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I know, but still. :P

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@tom-berk)
Topic starter  

I;m back. Found out Washburn also owns Parker guitars.. Any info, experiences with this make? Went to website and looks like some quality.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2