question about classical guitar strings

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I recently acquired a very old beat-up classical guitar. There is one thing I don't like about it: like other classicals I have played, the wound bass strings (E A & D) tend to "roll" under the thumb when being played. Is this true of all wound nylon strings or does it increase with string age? I'd really like to get some strings that don't do this because I lose my sense of hand position when the strings offer no friction to my thumb.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes, they're kind of 'sproingy;' I know what you mean. I've never noticed if it's different between new and old strings. It's sort of a thing you just get used to and don't notice after awhile.

Funny you should mention it though; it's true what you say but I hadn't really realized it until you brought it up. I guess when I switch from the classical guitar to the steel string, subconsciously there's a little switch that happens and without knowing it, I 'expect' certain things, certain feels and tensions and tones.

I use D'Addario J45s by the way; pretty good and pretty long lasting. Not that expensive either.

Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

you might try also j46- same as 45 but hard tension - that might make you feel better

ReplyQuote