Clear all

Alternate picking ?! AAAA

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so i've always thought alternate picking was better technique and would make it easier for things like thrash metal riffs (and it does). However I always see great players doing such riffs by using extremely fast constant down picking - I mean all of em, all the time (unless its imposible).
I can see the benifits. If you can do down picking that fast your picking in general will improve. And some riffs are actually hindered by using alternate picking.
So...Is it better technique to use downward picking for these thrash riffs? Im confused!

(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

There is no doubt in my mind that you can go faster with alternate picking. However, the reason many metal, thrash, punk bands do nothing but down pick is because down picking gives you a certain "sound". It's hard to describe, I almost want to say a syncopated sound (not sure if that is the right word).

Also, if a riff you are playing is hindered by alternate picking, then down pick it. If a riff you are trying to play will be hindered by down picking, alternate pick it.

There are no set rules...and if there were...rules are meant to be broken. :wink:

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There is no doubt in my mind that you can go faster with alternate picking.

Not true for some passages, especially sequences that are one note per string. For these, sweep picking (a.k.a. economy picking) is often optimal. Here's a link to explain:

http://www.guitar-dominion.com/sweep101/sweep101.html

It is a good idea to master both alternate and sweep picking. Also, don't forget all those other speed and tonal picking techniques such as left (fretting) hand tapping, roll picking (a jazz staple), "plain" old finger picking and hybrid picking.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Downstrokes usually have the best tone because of simple muscle physics. Some of the most "toneful" players utilize lots of downstrokes.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

well, no matter what, you can never play two strings at the same time, upstrokes and downstrokes sound different because one of the strings is getting hit first, so it sounds different. Well, I suppose...

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

downstrokes have more of a rock like sound, its more powerful, upstrokes are less strong

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

well, no matter what, you can never play two strings at the same time, upstrokes and downstrokes sound different because one of the strings is getting hit first, so it sounds different. Well, I suppose...
What do you mean you cant play two strings at the same time?

(This isnt a flame, Im just curious to your explanation)

Kido.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What do you mean you cant play two strings at the same time?

Assuming you use a pick, and don't use hyrbid picking, one string is bound to be hit first. The difference could only be a few ms, but there is a difference.
Downstrokes usually have the best tone because of simple muscle physics.

I assume this means there is something like a universally accepted 'best' and 'worst' tone?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

well, no matter what, you can never play two strings at the same time, upstrokes and downstrokes sound different because one of the strings is get...Can when you're fingerpicking, or composite picking.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think what you are talking about is rhythm guitar for heavier music styles like Punk or Metal. This is usually played on the bass strings. Yes, there is a different sound when using all down strokes as opposed to alternate picking. Using all downstrokes gives a heavier, consistent, monotone sound. It is just heavier sounding than alternate picking.

But I would completely disagree about playing this way all the time. Any lead guitarist who plays really fast uses alternate picking. When Kirk Hammet is playing rhythm guitar for Metallica, yeah he's probably using downstrokes to get that consistent heavy sound. But when he solos, and especially when playing fast passages, I promise you he is using alternate picking. Real speed playing requires alternate picking.

I can not explain this in musical technical terms, but when you downstroke a chord your mind hears the bass first and holds on to it. So it sounds bassy. And because the bass was struck first, the bass sustains the longest. When you upstroke a chord your mind hears the treble notes first and holds on to those. So this sounds more chimey. And heavy music wants the bass sound. So this is why all the downstrokes.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

There is no doubt in my mind that you can go faster with alternate picking.

Not true for some passages, especially sequences that are one note per string.

That's why I said this: Also, if a riff you are playing is hindered by alternate picking, then down pick it. If a riff you are trying to play will be hindered by down picking, alternate pick it.

What I was trying to get across was that, like Wes said, real speed (for leads and whatnot) lies in alternate picking (or sweep and economy picking like you indicated).

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

But I would completely disagree about playing this way all the time. Any ead guitarist who plays really fast uses alternate picking. When Kirk Hammet is playing rhythm guitar for Metallica, yeah he's probably using downstrokes to get that consistent heavy sound. But when he solos, and especially when playing fast passages, I promise you he is using alternate picking. Real speed playing requires alternate picking.

Yeah, I do use alternate picking all the time and play tons of fast solos. What I meant by 'all the time' was simply, on all these typical metal riffs where the open string is played a lot.
So i guess the the answer to my question is simpley to create a heavier more consistent sound. Thanks for the replies guys. :D

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

All downstroke powerchords sound great and mad. If you alternate pick it will sound heavy, weak, heavy, weak…

I learned the Ramones song I Wanna Be Sedated. I think it's 180+ beats per minute. Roughly 3 downstroke chords a second. That tires me out way too much so I'll switch to alternate picking. It doesn't sound quite right but it works if when I can't blaze all downstrokes. Give it a try.

Go grab your guitar and play an open E powerchord all downstrokes. Then switch to alternate picking. Hear the difference?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Alternate picking usually refers to single line (note) playing, and may even be extended to double stops -- but "strumming" is a whole different matter.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote