Clear all

Alternative tunings for Metallica

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

For abut the third time, my son wants to learn a song together. Having started a couiple things with him before turn to disinterest as the next girl saunters into his life, I'm making him take the "lead" of the project, so to speak. He finally chose the song version from the Huitar Pro files I have, so we'll see.

The song is their old classic, Enter Sadman. I was quite suprised to see that none of the guitar parts in any file I found contained alternate tunings. Can tis be right? Enter Sandman is played in standard tuning?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy I worked on that song awhile back with my teacher but none of the guys wanted to play it. If you are interested in the tab I can send it to you but it's at home and I need to convert it to a PDF to send and I won't be in work after today. Anyway I'll send it to you when I come back and if you don't need it you can chuck it.

I'm trying to remember but I think that song might have been in standard tuning. I can defintely tell you that when I get home.

I intro to that is kind of neat the way the riff builds.

Remeber you gotta crank up the volume to "feel" Metallica

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi cnev, sure, I'll take what you've got. Thanks for the offer.

I've sampled some Metallica recently on Barnes and Noble. My son wants a few of their albums. I do enjoy their intros from what I can tell. I've also always enjoyed their cover of "Turn The Page".

I won't be cranking anything up anytime soon, but I'm sure you're right.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I know you can't I was just messin with you. I have a few other Metallica tabs too. Seek and Destroy might a pretty good one to try.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Yes, it's definitely standard tuning, as Chris mentions. If I remember correctly, the intro (the first part of it anyway) is one guitar doing a simple riff:
+ 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - - - 5 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - 7 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 7 - - - - - - -
E 0 - - - - - - - - - - 6 - - 5 - - - - - - - - 0 - - - -

while the second plays an Em chord. Hearing the moving riff (especially the Bb and A notes) over the static second guitar may be making your ear think there's some weird tuning going on.

Have fun with this one!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

More than one way to get that heavy sound, eh? That intro looks like what I have in a few GP files. One guitar, then another and then the bass. I might need a 100ft guitar cable to play this as loud as my son would want. :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The tab sold on SheetMusic Direct shows standard tuning. Those are usually pretty reliable (and reasonable, typically $0.99.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Yes, it's definitely standard tuning, as Chris mentions. If I remember correctly, the intro (the first part of it anyway) is one guitar doing a simple riff:
+ 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - - - - - - - 0 - - - - - - - - -0- - - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - 7 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E 0 - - - - - - - - - - 6 - - 5 - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've adjusted the tab to allow the G string to ring out as long as possible. It sounds much better for it! :)

ReplyQuote