Clear all

American vs. Import - Worth the money? - Discussion

61 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Wood and glue is wood and glue.

Not so sure about that one. You have to keep in mind bracing, grades of wood, types of wood...there are many factors.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

mikespe,

there was no insult to you or anyone else, i am sure you are an excellent
person and musician, my frustration is with the people that down play epi's and look down on the people that have them, i happen to proud of my guitar, and what it is, i meant no offense to you or any one else, and if it was taken that way, i am truly sorry, but in the same tokken
thats the way people with epi's feel when there brand is badmouthed, after all, its like wes said, "anyone who plays an instrument is cool", so i hope there is no hard feelings, because that was not my intention, just sick of the epi bashings that go on, because it truly is a great axe. :wink:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

NP rocker...the Agile users seem to be at an almost "cult" status now and it was created by word of mouth. No fancy advertising or gimmicks. You KNOW the quality HAS to be good if that is your only form of advertising!

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

mikespe,

woulld'nt mind some specs on the agiles, looked for them in musicians freind, and music 123 mags, but did'nt see them.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You'll only find them at Rondo Music. They are exclusive to Kurt. Check Harmony Central and you'll see a ton of reviews. Plus they are talking about them on the Fender Forum in the MKisc. section.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Rondo Music there are several pages of different variants and grades.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Rondo Music there are several pages of different variants and grades.

:P :P :P :P :P :P TOO SLOW!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

:D Yep, got distracted by all those purdy guitars.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

When i come to newyork i will get some of agiles...

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

When i come to newyork i will get some of agiles...

Stop by on your way thru and drop me off a couple. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i would agree with what Mike said about owning "cheap" guitars and loving them. I have a Squier and a relatively cheap Ibanez. i love them. that's undisputable, and we really cant argue that other people love guitars of the same caliber.

however

while these cheaper Asian guitars are indeed nice and all that, I still believe they are far inferior to a guitar of better materials. I LOVE my Squier 51. it plays well, it sounds nice, it looks great. but I still know that a Fender American Series Strat is a FAR superior guitar. the intangibles that the Fender has are simply better, and that is also undisputable.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

i would agree with what Mike said about owning "cheap" guitars and loving them. I have a Squier and a relatively cheap Ibanez. i love them. that's undisputable, and we really cant argue that other people love guitars of the same caliber.

however

while these cheaper Asian guitars are indeed nice and all that, I still believe they are far inferior to a guitar of better materials. I LOVE my Squier 51. it plays well, it sounds nice, it looks great. but I still know that a Fender American Series Strat is a FAR superior guitar. the intangibles that the Fender has are simply better, and that is also undisputable.

I would agree with that U2Bono.There is a big difference, but not as much as there was say 20 years ago. With some minor tweaking and proper set up you can get some great sound out of them. Also if you play the blues, a cheap guitar is not a bad thing( some of those old blues guys back in the 50,s and 60's played some pretty funky El-cheapo axes :P 8) In my case I have 10 guitars ( including a lap steel, mandolin, and banjo) one was free. All together I paid about $1640.oo US for them. I could have opted for one or two really nice guitars but that would mean I would only have one or two guitars :oops: Some day I may win that lottery, but I'm not holding my breath :lol: :lol: BTW I was looking at the 51 Squier-NICE--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I can only speak from my experience on this.

As far as appearance I get many compliments on my EPI LP Studio. As far as playability, to me......I don't notice a big difference between mine and some Gibson LP's I've tried. Most of them were triple the price of mine. As far as sound, I've not tried any other guitars in comparison to mine in similar conditions so I don't have good data to offer on that subject. I would assume that's most critical. But if I like the sound I'm getting and others aren't offended then I must be ok, right?

I am not afraid to show any of my guitars to anyone. Most guitars are eye candy for most people anyhow. If you like what you got and it's doing what you expect, who cares what name or color it is?

It's how it's played that matters most. Alas, someday I'll live that vision. Until then.....GAS

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i think i can even apply my martin to this. i have the MArtin DX1, the bottom of the line guitar. it's my baby. it's an amazingly well made guitar and it sounds great. i have played Martins that are more than 4 times the price of my DX1, and yes, the difference between them is monumental. tone-wise, i would say they are similar, but as far as feel, it's no-contest, the more expensive ones just plain feel wonderful. but is my DX1 a bad guitar? heck no! is it better than the more expensive Martin models? not a chance! if i were to say my DX1 is better just because it cost less and is still a good guitar, then i tihnk that's just a skewed view on it all.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I really don't care where mine was made. I just care that it's the one I can't put down. There is a Gibson j100 at the local GC calling my name right now. I don't care about the country of origin.

How do I reduce the collection to sneak it in? Which credit card? Those are the things that matter.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5