Notifications
Clear all

American vs. Import - Worth the money? - Discussion

61 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I absolutely agree with arjen. Albeit that Fender and Gibson may be riding their names out and the quality has fallen off as of late, they still are superior guitars. Is it worth it? If you have the money, absolutely. Do the guitars sound better? Yes. Of course there are some examples in the past years from gibson/fender that would say otherwise, but keep this in mind, unless you go to the store when a new shipment of gibsons or fenders arrive (and even sometimes if you do this), the best of the best is usually already gone by the time you get around to them. People who buy those guitars are usually serious about music and can hear the difference and spot the gems. If I have the cash, I buy the best, simple as that (that's what I did with my Ramirez and lower end guitars classicals simply are not the same.)

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great post Arjen.

I see 3 levels for just about everything. You have the budget gear. This is guitars from anywhere from $100 to about $500. The great thing that was not true many years ago, is that there are many more companies making guitars today. So competition is fierce. And companies are aware that people are very quality conscious. So, you can really get some real nice guitars today in this price range.

Then you have the intermediate gear. This is guitars from maybe $600 to $1500. Now these are quality guitars. The usually have better tuners, switches, pickups, and saddles than the lower priced guitars. They have more cosmetics, like binding, or better finishes or wood. These intermediate guitars are really good for someone who is serious about music, but doesn't have a lot of money. These guitars will stand up to a lot of heavy use over many years. They are excellent for someone who gigs. The are good sounding and durable, and you are not going to faint if it falls off the stand.

Then you have the high priced, top of the line guitars, maybe $1600 up to many thousands of dollars. These guitars are better. They have quality tuners, pickups, and hardware. The cosmetics are much better, pearl inlays or fancy binding. Better woods. These guitars are works of art. The only problem with these guitars is that you might be afraid to really play them. You don't want to scratch the perfect finish. You don't dare take it to the gig in case it gets knocked off the stand or someone steals it, or spills a beer on it. No, better keep this guitar at home in a nice case. Hang it up on the wall, makes a beautiful piece of furniture. :D

So, I say go in the middle. The low priced guitars are excellent today and great for someone starting out. Once you can play pretty good, you are going to want better quality and tone, so you want a little better guitar and amp.

And the high priced stuff is great for someone who has loads of money and is happy to prove it to you. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Well said Wes.

ReplyQuote
(@saschava)

if you go with an epi elitiest LP the only thing that will ever bother you is the name on the head

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

the way i see it, there's a reason why you don't see professionals playing Epiphones (i have however seen some use Epiphone semihollows or vintage pre-gibson epiphones) Squiers or even MIM Fenders...and it's not because they have the cash to spend. a pro wants gear that will last, and cheaper guitars simply don't have that lasting power. no offense to mikespe, but the Agiles may be good quality guitars, but i highly doubt it will stand up to long-term use. that's not to say it's a crap guitar, i'm sure it plays well and sounds pretty good and is more than serviceable to you. but if you were a gigging musician with a decent income, what are you gonna play everynight? an agile or a good, solid USA Fender? I'm picking that Fender, not because of the name on the headstock but because it's got what it takes for what i need. at the stage that MOST of us are in, the agile has what it takes for what we need, myself included. im happy with my Ibanez GRX70 as my "main" electric.

i love my Martin guitar, even if it's a "cheap" model. i also have a Fender acoustic, and while it's well made and sounds nice and cost more, the Martin is still head and shoulders above it. why? well, it's simply a better guitar. i can tell when i hold it and play it that it has something the Fender is missing, and it's the same with Fenders and Squiers and whatever else you wanna compare.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

dali, i totaly agree, i bought an epi lp black beauty new for 700 bucks, changed the bridge pup to adimarzio f spaced super distortion, an the middle and neck pups dimarzio paf pros
and this axe totaly f#*kin rocks, i would love to have a gibson lp, but not gonna pay 2000
bucks+ for it.

OK...Why pay $700 for an Epiphone when you can pay $160-$400 for an Agile for the most part made in the same factory? My $160 Agile is better than ALL of the Epi's I have played (I have not tried the Elitist but I also haven't tried the Higher end Agiles either.

Two reasons for US made purchases...NAME (sometimes these people are called "name snobs" and like mentioned...resale value. Harley vs. Honda is another good example (Harleys are MUCH better now but in the late 70's early 80's were junk).

I will be honest though...I am dying for an American Tele...mainly for what it stands for to me...it represents true America to me. Country & Blues music, the heart of America. I know it sounds corny but that's why I want one...As for Gibson's and a USA strat...if I get an AMAZING deal then maybe I'll get one...

Well mike i don't want to sound harsh or bash anyone..but when you say 'true america in american tele' i don't know what you are saying.How does a guitar represents america.Isn't it the player who has to make it sound that way.And then lots of people from other country also work in the american companies.

I am not here to start a partriotic debate but comments like'true american' and 'heart of america' seems too much overstated to me :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well mike i don't want to sound harsh or bash anyone..but when you say 'true america in american tele' i don't know what you are saying.How does a guitar represents america.Isn't it the player who has to make it sound that way.And then lots of people from other country also work in the american companies.

I am not here to start a partriotic debate but comments like'true american' and 'heart of america' seems too much overstated to me :roll:

Look at most of the types of music that traditionally use Tele's...Blues, Country, early Rock-n-Roll...All started in the US. It has nothing to do with bashing other countries. Harley Davison, a motorcycle, also represents America. Most countries all have something that originated there and that they are known for.

To me the Tele represents Americana, the Heartland, what America is all about. I am not saying it should stand for that for everybody. I am sure there are other Americans on this board that will totally disagree with me. This is what the Tele represents to ME. If anyone wants to disagree that's their choice.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone... great discussion so far.

I want to respond to one note I saw about the American guitar "lasting a lifetime" while the imports not lasting. While I 100% agree with hardware and switches breaking down, I don't see why an Agile set-neck guitar with hardware upgrades would break down over time compared to a Gibson. Wood and glue is wood and glue.

And I have come to the realization that your best bet for a solid American guitar MAY be to snatch up those "entry level" Gibsons and Fenders. Highway 1 Fenders and "Faded" series Gibsons don't have all the bells and whistles, but they have the same hardware and pickups of the more expensive standard guitars. I mean, I spent $649 for my Faded Brown SG and it has the EXACT hardware as the $1100 SG standard. The difference? Paint & lacquer & inlays.

And don't get me started about paying $800 for a USA guitar and not even getiing a case!!!

I looked hard and long at the Agile guitars... are they really that good? I had a Michael Kelly from Korea ($200) and it was a very well made guitar. No question that I missed that Gibson headstock though...

One final point - - what about "lesser" brand American guitars with better quality ratings? Heritage and Guild are both really well made, but don't sell too much... ah... the branding?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Dali Lama~
i totally agree, it bugs the heck out of me that you would pay over $500 for any guitar and not get at least a cheap hardshell case with it.
MF sells nice hardshell cases all day long for under $50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/544769/

i also agree that Agile guitars (or others) should hold up just as well as Gibsons or any other high dollar make.
only time will tell.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Herritage IS Gibson: they are produced by formed Gibson employees in a former Gibson factory. As for the going with the entry-levels of the big brands: for which lines do you think they reserve the best wood? I doubt it is the Faded/Highway series...

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

This topic always amuses me. Not because I disagree that USA guitars aren't better, but because of the strong emotions the topic evokes. Several times I've been speaking with a guitarist and they ask me what I play. I would answer "Epi LP Classic" and I almost always get the "oh, those aren't bad". It almost appeared as though I suddenly was less of a player because of what my headstock said (granted, I'm not a good player, but that's beside the point). Since this seemed to happen a lot, I now just answer "Les Paul". I'll only tell them it isn't a Gibson if they come right out and ask. And I think that is silly. I'm not ashamed of my guitar because it is a very good player (I guess I picked well in the beginning before I really knew the difference) but I get tired of having this discussion with random people.

Sorry for the rant. I will own an American guitar or two at some point. They are superior instruments if you shop around and find one that speaks to you. Are they worth the money? Apparently, since company's set prices based on what the market will bear. If nobody was buying them, they'd drop the price (eventually anyway).

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

I have a question :?:

Do the big name bands/players even buy their own equipment anymore:?:

You now how corporations works now a days. They pay others to use their stuff so people become more familiar with their product. "My idol player uses product X so thats what I am going to use".

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Heritage is NOT Gibson. Heritage may be using old Gibson equipment and the know-how of old Gibson employees, but I'm sure if you said "Heritage is Gibson" to a Heritage employee they'd choke the life outta you! Heritage produces a fraction of the number of guitars as Gibson a year, and they strive for quality, not quantity (in number of guitars produced, and lines of guitars). I don't own - or have even played - an Heritage, just basing this on what I've read and heard.

In terms of wood... Oh, I definitely agree on the quality of wood used. My SG is a 5-piece mahogany body. If it were a "Standard" it would have been painted black for sure. Of course, I am also a staunch proponent of pickups, electronics, and amps being the main contributor to sound over wood. I know many of you feel differently, but I just don't see the evidence to the contrary.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

crank-n-jam,

i get the same thing, i have an epi black beauty, and it pisses me off
when someone acts like it is a bottom of the line axe, everyone needs to remember, it is owned by gibson, squier? not in the same league, the epi's are soliod rockin guitars, i've
changed pups in mine, just because i wanted to, this axe rocked from jump street, so when
people say agile and all those other 150 dollar guitars are as good, tell them to kiss your butt, because there not :twisted:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

crank-n-jam,

i get the same thing, i have an epi black beauty, and it pisses me off
when someone acts like it is a bottom of the line axe, everyone needs to remember, it is owned by gibson, squier? not in the same league, the epi's are soliod rockin guitars, i've
changed pups in mine, just because i wanted to, this axe rocked from jump street, so when
people say agile and all those other 150 dollar guitars are as good, tell them to kiss your butt, because there not :twisted:

NOW I am going to take offense to this comment...I have played MANY Epis and NONE of them stand up to my Agile ($160)...the only exception is the Elitist and I never tried one. I also have a Squier '51 that I KNOW one or two of the members here own and LOVE. Plus the reviews of BOTH the Agiles AND Squier '51's are OUTSTANDING.

Just one further note on this...from what I have read (more than one source) Epi's AND Agiles are made in one of only 3 factories. Again, because the EPIPHONE brand is associated with Gibson they are ASSUMED better.

I know I would appreciate and I am sure others would as well, before you bash the $150 cheapo guitars you should consider that many of us have them and LOVE them. To each his own as they say...Thanks.

I apologize if you feel I am attacking you but the the tone I get from your post could have been worded better.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5