Clear all

Anal about tone?

103 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
12.4 K Views
(@sarton)
Estimable Member

Arjen: Didn't think you were being an arse. Where I come from, it's called being direct. That's a Good Thing (tm).

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Geoo: Oh, search options generally suck badly. But google doesn't. For example, if I want to know how Randy Rhoads got his sound, I go to google and type 'randy rhoads gear'. Then I press the first link it finds and I see his exact setup of guitar, amps and effects. And when I want a picture I chose the third link where you'll see the chain is so complex there's no way a specific brand of strings is going to have ANY impact on the final sound, so you're be best of chosing what feels best. Besides having found a big part of the answer you'll also have learned about Guitargeek.com, which you can use it you ever have such a question about another artist. Typing this post took longer then finding that info.

You still didn't figure out what stings he used...

In the end you have to go to a RR forum, find the search form, type in strings. Take the answer and go to GOOGLE and type in "Randy Rhoads Picatto". Picato being his second option (also paying special attention that the guy in the forums spelled it wrong,) because their not as popular as GHS boomer, hence, I can zero in - on what I'm looking for. And finally, I have an interveiw with RR where he say's he uses GHS Boomers and Picatto (Actually, Picato.) That's all...it takes a sec. I can't see why a newbie couldn't do that... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Netzok: Assuming people want to have the same strings just for the sound the global setup of him immediately makes it obvious it really doesn't matter if he used GHS Boomers or D'addario standard 10s. Not even a tiny bit. Really. WHich is probably (I can't remember the topic actually, don't even know what I said myself, if I said anything) what people told the dude who asked it. It's not going to matter soundwise, so take what feels best. Now that doesn't answer that question so if he is writing an essay on RR it probably won't help, but it *should* be what every guitarist interested in his sound needs to know. The difference between what people want and what people need, would be pointless if I didn't tell him that and instead have him spend his money on strings twice as expensive without him getting any extra for it. Now I can't remember his exact question but if he was shooting for his sound I would tell him the above since that would help him most. If he needed to know for non-tonal reasons I would (or should) shut my mouth.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Now let's be real hear...I am a HUGE Randy Rhoads fan but with the distortion he used the real things strings would make different is the FEEL of the guitar...not its sound.

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Is the horse dead yet? :roll:

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member

Is the horse dead yet? :roll:

LOL. Reminds me of that joke from The Cable Guy (paraphrased): My sister had a horse with a broken leg, so I shot it. Now it's got a broken leg, and a gunshot wound.

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Alright everyone. We've maimed three animals (one slowly), abused other forums, Google, re-worded option number 3, decided someone needed new carpeting and that the Adirondacks green is too fresh for cables I think. On top of that, Arjen is now an arse. (?)

Oh yeah, a few people have some sort of fettish thing going on that got nipped in the bud at least once. Mike got back into the swing of things and returned.

At last count, no blood on anyone, monkees cannot re-produce, the horse is screwed and VERY pissed off by now and I have not seen my cat ALL DAY. Some people ramble, some don't. Some enjoy getting information from rambling, some don't.

Sounds like things will be as they were, and worst a few of you need group cyberhugs.

That about does it, eh?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

That about does it, eh?

Nope....

Japanese School Girls

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That about does it, eh?

Nope....

Japanese School Girls
We want to attract new members, but not from the Vice Squad nor from their "customers" :shock:
Just make sure you get the right color,apparently the green ones don't sound to good
Course they don't - they're not ripe yet

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think I'd best take a week off work next time I start a thread!

Anyone know what brand of cigarettes Keith Richards smokes?I've been trying to play "Honkey Tonk Woman" but it don't sound right.I think I've got the wrong type of nicotene stains on my fingers!I've been using Marlboro Lights but I think I need something stronger.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Trying to google up the answer to that one I ran into this:
LONDON 21-MAY-1998 (SBN) Ghostly Rolling Stoner, Keith Richards, reportedly suffered a near-life experience last night. The incident caused such alarm that he was taken to the local mortuary to confirm that he was still, indeed, dead. All of the Stones came to offer emotional support to their long-time friend.
"I han't seen the old bloke move like it since '64, when Ringo made to steal his stash." said Mick Jagger, "He was like lightning, he was!"

"I saw this blinding light and the whole room came into focus," said Richards. "Colors started to form: yellow, red, blue. My lungs filled up with air, and my bum! By God! I could feel my bum again! I never felt so alive!"

What sparked the incident is still uncertain, but morticians believe that the bright light and colors were just the television.

"This is quite common, actually," said Fred Unger,Mr. Richards' personal mortician. "I'd have to say it was acid flashbacks more than anything. But, no worries, Keith won't be back with us any time soon. I doubt it will ever happen again. He'll be dead for a long, long time."

Richards has almost fully recovered from the excitement, resuming his decaying position on his couch in front of the TV. The emotional element still exists, but Keith's heart rate returned to zero and he breathed out one last, choked sigh of relief when his left arm fell off and he realized that the whole experience was probably just a fluke.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

google eerst zou moeten geprobeerd hebben alvorens de vraag te stellen!

mijn Nederlands is niet zeer goed :lol:

playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Awesome, the second sentence is actually 100% correct. The first should have been:

'Ik zou eerst google geprobeerd moeten hebben alvorens de vraag te stellen.'

These online translators are really getting damn close. Unfortunately Dutch to English seems to work less well:

"I firstly google would have tried must before asking the question."

Really wouldn't surprise me if people will eventually start using their own language on the internet and everyone will read a translation in their own respective language.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

"I firstly google would have tried must before asking the question."

Sounds more like Latin than English.

dank u

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I'm still waiting for the Schoolgirl pics :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7