Skip to content
Anyone else have tr...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone else have trouble learning an entire song?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@misterjog)
Topic starter  

I recently noticed that I never really learn a song start to finish. What makes it funny to me is that when I thought aobut it I realized that its either cause the song is too easy/boring, or its just out of my league. Maybe I just havn't found the right intermediate songs yet. Anyhow, I'd love to hear from anyone who has had the same problem and what they tried to do about it.

(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

I had/have this problem. You just have to pick a song, and stick with it, work on it a little every day, and then once you learn it every week play through it and the other songs you know. Hope this helps...
Good luck!

-Alex

ReplyQuote
(@misterjog)
Topic starter  

Sheer determination. I must say I have yet to try that approach but hey its worth a shot!

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

It took me some time until I came across a song I had patience to learn the whole way through minus solos so far. I'm sure there are a lot of guitar players that go through that phase at one time or another. Geek in the Pink has pretty good advice to go by.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@jamonkey)
Eminent Member

Work on your chops...things get eaiser eventually

I had the same problem...the first song I learned completly was Fairies wear boots (except the middle solo). I used to go around and learn a riff to one song, move on and learn another (usually the most interesting parts). If you commit to learning a peice of one song everyday (sticking with the same song) and convince your brain your working on a different thing everyday it could work wonders. At least it has for me.

I highly recommend Fairies wear boots on guitar pro if you have it.

Once you've learned a song completly you'll be so proud of your self. Friends too, because afterall if you learn a bunch off parts to songs and play it to your friends they may get into it, but you'll stop right before they expect something great.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Had and still do have the same problem :smile: Being in a band helps a little bit...you don't really have much of a choice then. Other than that, I get my motivation to finish a song from the fact that most people don't like listening to intro riff after intro riff after intro riff...and I want people to enjoying listening to my playing.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

I had the same problem. The easy songs were boring. After playing a verse and a refrain, I know I can play it, why bother playing it again? The point is that you need a motivation to play a song the whoel way through. Playing in a band helps, or even just singing along yourself. Or, get an audience.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Yeah I have/had the same problem, for me I think its about satisfaction with how I play that particular song, and what I do with it once I can play it. I can never play it as well as the original and if I do master the complete song, then what? On to the next one ?. I think jasonrunguitar and zaiga might have a point about being in a band cos then there is motivation to do something with the song, because you and the band are creating something that yours. Im not in a band so I solve this problem by writing my own songs, that way I'm not always comparing myself to the original artist. There's also real incentive to finish it cos at the end I have something that I can look at and be proud of (or chuck away as the case may be).

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I think that learning to play other people's songs conflicts with one's own creativity and expression. In other words, boredom is a gateway emotion.

Here are two worthwhile exercises:
Playing a happy (or blue) song when you're not, which involves changing your own mood.
Adding your own personal flair to the song, which involves a lot of creativity.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm old. I have trouble REMEMBERING entire songs.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

ha, nicely done rparker.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

How about, anyone not have trouble learning entire songs?

ReplyQuote