Skip to content
Anyone in here neve...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone in here never take guitar lessons from a teacher?

45 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@orlie)

About three years ago, I tried to teach myself bass so I could play in church. Made virtually no progress until I took lessons. Didn't take long to be able to play in church, as well as get a start in other kinds of music such as blues and standards. My teacher wanted to prepare me to play bass gigs such as country club dances, but I was not interested. I have taken guitar from him for a while now. He has a very solid background, and he can teach me any kind of music that I become interested in. I feel that I progress much faster with a teacher, and I understand what I am playing.
My two cents. YMMV

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've never actually paid anyone for lessons, but I have been taught. First by my father, then by a couple of friends.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I applaud you all for making it into the glorious world of guitar without having to be shown by someone. I toyed with a guitar I borrowed from my cousin for a month while reading and working with a CD-ROM. I got nowhere and knew I needed to take lessons. After 12 of those I was doing MUCH better. A few months back I took 5 lessons on lead guitar and stopped that for now.

If I had not taken those initial 12 lessons I'm 95% sure I would have given my cousin back his guitar and kept video games for a hobby. Now I play guitar and never play video games. Strange how life turns out.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Now I play guitar and never play video games. Strange how life turns out.

And, isn't playing guitar SO much more fun and entertaining than playing video games? :-) It's never the same thing twice! (At least, the way I play, it's never the same thing twice!) :-)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, guitar is much more fun. I don't think many people care that I got 5 characters in Diablo II expansion up to at least level 90 out of 99 and one sorceress to level 99. That's a LOT of wasted time. I can't go to a party and say, “Dude, wanna play Diablo?” It would be much better to pick up a guitar and jam with others. Besides, guitar is much more a social thing.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

and the chicks dig guitarists.

Does taking a guitar class when you already know everything taught in it count as taking lessons? I took a class here at school hoping to fill in the blanks of my teacherless guitaring and I didnt learn jack squat. Actually I lie, i learned a chord. B7.

Oh and i learned that i my playing isnt kosher.

But my attitude is, i can do the things i want to do, and that's good enough for me. I have no desire to solo, so scales dont interest me. Im happy just making my Martin make the sounds I want, and trying to find a way to make it work. I feel i've learned more doing that than any teacher can show me.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

“Chicks dig guitarists.” I sure hope so 8) as a single man, yet, I'd bet everyone digs guitarists. You know so many people listen to music and wish they could play. What's that Rush song about all the world's a stage. I don't know if that's the name but it talks about how everyone would like to be on stage playing. When I was younger I wished that but never in a million years thought I'd play a guitar. I thought it was way too hard to learn.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Dennis,

You mean chicks don't dig gamers...I play a mean game of Madden football and I love beating on my buddies with the Colts..you can't touch Marvin..but playing guitar has really cut into my playing also.

But I think I broke the rule here, my ex girlfriend was a guitar player in a Hardcore band but when we were going out I didn't play, now that I play she doesn't want anything to do with me....I think the drummers get all the chicks.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmm, she played guitar? That (to my feeble mind) would be very cool. Although I could see some competition going on just like (say) when two lawyers are married. They'd be comparing each other constantly.

Chris, if I had a gal friend who was a musician I'd pretty elated. I've always liked girls who played bass but have never dated such aforementioned. Drummers get all the chicks? Looks like I have to do some research on percussion, LOL! Nah, I like guitar so much I'll stick with it. Yet I did go to the library last week trying to learn a little about keyboard and harmonica. I think harmonica may be the next thing I try when time permits.

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I wish I put the video games down a long time ago. Total waste of time. :roll:

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

actually i was researching for a term paper im doing about guitar and i stumbled upon an interview from eddie van halen, or was it jimmy page? dont remember...but the point is they said they were SELF TAUGHT!!! i couldnt believe it!!! they said "the only lesson i ever had was this guy who showed me barre chords." thats quite an accomplishment, to be able to play like either of the 2 w/o lessons. i guess in their time, since they were the pioneers of the new wave, lessons werent around as much. im pretty sure the interview was on EVH, like 90% sure.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget that many 'stars' seem to be keen on creating awesome myths about themselves. Just because you never paid anyone doesn't mean they never had lessons. All those guitarists who are supposedly self-taught all hung around and played with other musicians. WHile not an official lesson, you learn just as much from them.

Dennis: You sure killed a lot of cows in your live, didn't ya? :P

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member

I find that most people, and I say MOST people that never
had lessons or SOME sort of instruction like books or tapes or
whatever. did two things.
A: they never were able to do more than cover tunes.
and they were the run of the mill same ol same ol ones
B: Pawned the thing or gave it away and got on with their
life.

I take offense at that! :lol:

No, really. For me part of the thrill is figuring out things on my own (through reading and playing) and watch all the puzzle-pieces fall in place, one by one :)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Dennis, just so you know, harmonica players never get the chicks.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

There goes my research on harmonica (wink). :roll:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3