------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------
-14b16-12-14b16rb14-12------
------------------------17-

You might recognize that this is the first, very quick solo from Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix. If you listen to it on the record, it is played blindingly fast. I want to learn how to develop the technique in order to play this and other lines like it properly. It's got so many bends, hammer-ons, and pull-offs that are executed so fast I don't think doing the 1-2-3-4 finger exercise will help me play it. Also, in order to bend the notes, I often have to use two or three fingers, which I need to take off once the bend is executed to play other notes. Do you know how I can properly practice stuff like this? Thanks.

(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

there's only one method i use to learn lines like these. its pretty simple too - start super slow, then build. thats it.
after you get a few similiar phrases learnt, your lead playing will improve. just take it slow and make sure your getting every note, bend, hammer on etc exact before you increase the tempo.

the easiest way to practice like this is with a metronome or with something like powertab or guitar pro with the tempo turned way down.

as for fingers and bending, at the start use your third finger, supported by the second, to bend the initial d, leaving your first finger free to play the e.

it can be a bit trick, but play slowly and stick at it and you'll get it eventually

have fun

mord

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Work on your scales. If you step back and look at your tab, you can see that you are only using 6 fret's. 12 being the lowest 17 being the highest.

If you keep working on your scales which is using 4 fret's for the most part, you will find stretching out one more fret on both ends won't be that hard.

And again just like mentioned above, work on it slowly. Get every section down before you move on. Just like everything else - Practice makes Perfect!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

i agree with mordeth 100% on this

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

the long and complicated way is...

Practice

.. its said so much, why doesnt anyone think its true?

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

The key to playing very fast is -- acuracy. It's not about strength. You have to have a light touch and get your left hand right hand synch going. To do that -- repitition!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

It looks like he's playing in major pentatonic. Just start practicing your scales. Learn them backwards, forwards, up, and down.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Also note that Hendrix, like any experienced player, had a huge library of licks that he had learned to play well. He would play the same kind of licks in different songs, and because he would know them so well he could play faster then he could play a different lick. The best thing you could is just start slow, and build up your own library of licks. Make sure you know exactly what the backing is doing at every moment, and then just play what you want.

ReplyQuote