Artificial harmonics?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
Now, I always thought that artificial harmonics were just pinch harmonics, untill I read otherwise on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakk_Wylde
The paragraph to the left of the third picture:
"Zakk Wylde's guitar-playing style is usually characterized by his use of pinch harmonics (often confused with artificial harmonics)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_harmonics
I dont quite follow their definition of an artificial harmonic...Can someone put that in english???

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There are two broad types: 'natural' harmonics (playing a harmonic on an open string) and 'artificial' harmonics (everything else).

Wikipedia isn't correct in the Zakk Wylde entry - pinch harmonics are one type of artificial harmonic. Anything that gets a harmonic on a fretted note will be artificial. The other entry is correct - you touch the node... which they call "an integer divisor of its vibrational length"... and you get a harmonic. It also notes that pinch harmonics are artificial harmonics.

There are lots of ways to get artificial harmonics. There's the 'Lenny Breau' harmonics, using the index finger to touch the node (I'm not sure why people associate it with Breau - classical guitarists were doing this before he was born!), tapped harmonics, drum harmonics... all the sub-divisions are just different ways to get them.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The other entry is correct - you touch the node... which they call "an integer divisor of its vibrational length"... and you get a harmonic.

lol and the node being?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Nodes are the integer division of the string Wikipedia talks about... if you cut the string length in half (which is the node 12 frets above where you're fretting the note) you get a harmonic that's 2x the frequency of the fretted note - the octave harmonic.

1/3 of the length (7 frets up) gives you 3x the frequency - an octave and a perfect fifth. 1/4 of the length (5 frets up) is 4x the frequency, or 2 octaves higher, etc

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Didnt Eddie Van Halen do a lot of that?

ReplyQuote