Notifications
Clear all

"Backpack" Guitars

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@michael-hopcroft)
Topic starter  

I've been offered a 'backpack" acoustic guitar for really cheap ($25). Since I need a practice instrument right away, i was thinking of buying it. The problem, of course, is that it's about 25% smaller than a normal acoustic.

what i am wondering about "backpack" guitars before I take the plunge is:

1. Are they harder or easier to learn with?
2. Would I need special or more expensive strings?
3. How does their smaller size affect the sound, or the playing techinque required?
4. Will I eventually need a full-size guitar for recording and performing, or is it possible to do something decent with this type of guitar?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

1. It depends on the size of your hands.
2. No, probably not.
3. I think that its not so much the size of it, its probably made of plastic for 25 bucks.
4. If you like the sound, then no, but for 25 buck youre probably gonna want to upgrade in about 2 weeks because itll probably fall apart on you.

My opinion: Hold out for atleast 100 dollars. I gauruntee you you will not be happy with that piece o' crap. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

What brand is the backpack guitar :?:

When you say 25% smaller are you refering to the sound box (body) or the overall length :?

BS

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hey Bob, the thing is flippin 25 bucks. Do you think its gonna be a real brand name? :shock: lol

In short: DONT GET IT!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

yoyo286,

You never know until you ask - there are times when a peson who needs cash will pawn or sell a nice instrument for little more than pennies on a dollar :!:

So, I thought I would ask.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Yeah, this sounds like a personal sale. Maybe the guy doesnt know what it's worth. For $25, I'd get it just so I can play it at the beach and not worry about it. Or so I can beat the crap out of it. Who cares if it falls apart in a month, it cost $25. And some cheap guitars have a really unique sound.

So my advice. Go for it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I agree - for 25 bucks you simply can't go wrong, and you won't need to worry about it getting beat up on the beach cos you didn't pump your life's savings into it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@quill)

If it is the Martin "BackPack", then it may be worth it.

As I understand, they can be tough to handle, some folks even say you MUST stand to play them.

2. Would I need special or more expensive strings?
Martin Backpackers require light strings

3. How does their smaller size affect the sound, or the playing techinque required?
Smaller size usually equals less sound/less low end sound.

4. Will I eventually need a full-size guitar for recording and performing, or is it possible to
These guitars tend to be for ,well ehm backpacking, compact and convienent for traveling. They are not built for studio work, but hey stranger instruments have been used.

Remeber to try before you buy, get the make and model then check out online reviews . . . Caveat Emptor.

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

One thing to keep in mind:
Some of the small travel guitars that I have looked at in the past were incapable of maintaining standard tuning. This caused confusion for me when I was just beginning to play. The fingerings for chords did not match up to the instructional material I was using.

But, I would buy it for $25 just to play around with.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

As I understand, they can be tough to handle, some folks even say you MUST stand to play them.

I find it's necessary to use a strap with my Martin Backpacker, even when sitting, to keep the soundhole in the right place for classical/ fingerpicking.

Best,

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

I find it's necessary to use a strap with my Martin Backpacker, even when sitting, to keep the soundhole in the right place for classical/ fingerpicking.

Best,

Ditto on the strap. The hardest adjustment for me was not having somewhere to rest my right arm. I usually have it leaning on the top of the body, put that's not quite practical with the backpacker.

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yeah, the backpacker has a very nice, full sound to it, which is not the case with most other small guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Ditto on needing a strap with the Martin backpacker. I love having mine for travel. I took it on vacation with me last week and it was the hit of the trip. At least 4 other people played around with it. I think I spent more time trying to get it back from the crowd then I did actually playing it!

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I think 25 for a martin back packer is about right.

ReplyQuote