Clear all

Band... hmmm...

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I write most songs in my band, and I usually just let the other band members make up their parts, but they are better musician's than I am.

Three points need three answers:

1> YOURS are the shoulders that everyone stands on. Without you...whaddya got???

2> If they make up their parts...are they reading your mind well enough to put down in reality what is only (so far) in your head???

3> "Better" means they should realise point #1...and be able to pull off point #2!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@chasembrown)
Trusted Member

Yeah, I think that's right. They usually make my ideas far better what I would come up with, and ultimately they do usually ask my advice and try to see if their parts fit the feel of the song.

http://www.myspace.com/chasembrown
http://www.myspace.com/senselessbeats

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've very rarely tried to get anyone to play my songs....I suppose I'm in the same position as you, Lars, except I don't have a band! On those rare occasions I have tried to get someone interested, it all kinda falls apart - it just doesn't sound how I want it to sound.

If I'm playing a cover version of a song, I don't mind too much if it's not a straight-up 100% note-for-note copy of the original - in fact, I'd rather put a bit of my own personality into it. Which is probably where the problem might be with sharing my songs with a band - they're songs that are personal to me, mean something to me, and I want them playing how they SHOULD be played - or not at all.

So for now, I'll just keep on working on my guitar, bass, keyboard and vocal abilities and hopefully, someday, I'll be good enough to do everything myself, and finally get to hear those songs the way I hear them in my head.

Then again, if I was lucky enough to play with someone who had enough creative input to improve my songs, I probably would record them.

It's a conundrum, isn't it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Then again, if I was lucky enough to play with someone who had enough creative input to improve my songs, I probably would record them. It's a conundrum, isn't it! :D :D :D Vic

"Lucky" is right, Vic! I've always felt that dedication shared among a group is much better than merely a bunch of virtuosos trying to point the band in any one particular direction. Hey...The Beatles STUNK early on...but as far as dedication went...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hey Vic - did you forget to bring your songs to Sara's? I think we could have made a go of it.

The best example I can think of is early Melissa Etheridge. She used to sing her heart out solo with her 12-string in bars and small clubs, but it wasn't until she got with a band and a producer that she made it big. Bassist Kevin McCormack was a big part of her sound on the first two albums. I always thought that an important part of songwriting was to play your songs with other people so lots of people would get to hear them. Each band member contributes their skill and perspective - they add to your song, not detract.

And then someday, a different band will play your song, and they'll call it a cover. And that will be a good day.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2