Notifications
Clear all

Besides the guitar...

48 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Bass - began on string bass anyway - still have real hankerings to get myself a good Jazz Bass and get back into it seriously. I spent an evening playing bass recently, and it reminded me a) I'm still not so dusty on bass :D and b) I just love the sounds you can get. Marcus Miller! 8) 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Only guitar. Got back on playing it after 7 years of not touching it at all. GOD ! I've forgotten everything! :cry:

Even one instrument is enough to occupy all the hours of your life and still leave room for learning more on it.So nothing to feel down ...Rock ok :)

ReplyQuote
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

I'm a drummer!

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm a drummer!

And drummers ROCK !! ( well atleast i think they do :wink: )

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hmm lets see...

In school I played recorder, then later on a little keyboard/piano and a little drums (haven't kept them up though).
Over the last few years I've also dabbled in harmonica (love it), flute (hated it), slide whistle (hehe), ocarina (fun little piece of porcelain), bass (nice change without being too different from electric/acoustic) and my mates violin (after a few minutes he was begging me to stop :P).

Now I mostly play electric, acoustic, and bass if I can get hold of one (don't have funding to buy my own at present).
Still play a little harmonica and ocarina.
Would love to learn to play the banjo, but will have to wait until I can afford one.

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I played trumpet from 5th grade until 8th grade. Never cared much for it, but my grandmother bought it for me so I played mainly out of obligation. Didn't want to play in the high school band so I dropped it. Sadly, my main reason was I didn't want to be a "band geek". Looking back, of course, I wish I had stuck with it. Might have made my first guitar experience stick. Live and learn.

I'd like to eventually get a bass guitar so I can suck at that too. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

I can't believe that no one else is admitting to trying the ukulele. :shock:

Still working on acoustic and electric guitar basics, a little keyboard way back when, native american flute and of course, ukulele.

Did I mention that I still can't believe that no one admits to playing the uke? :D

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

OK, then........... I'll 'fess up! Once upon a time, in a land far away....... I DID play the ukelele!! :D I was never really good at it... but I could pick out some tunes. Don't think I've even seen one in over 20 years, though! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Still working on acoustic and electric guitar basics, a little keyboard way back when, native american flute and of course, ukulele.

Did I mention that I still can't believe that no one admits to playing the uke? :D

One of the Docs at work plays the ukulele, Ive heard some pretty amazing stuff out of one of those things :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Bass guitar mostly, but now I can't seem to go a day without playing the lap steel my wife just got me.

I recently got my old nonamebrand mandolin shipped to me from Hawaii. I messed with that quite awhile back. Just getting into setting it up as the nut and bridge had gotten lost over the years.

Ukulele - baritone. I actually started playing uke, but had forgotten all about it. A soprano back then.

Piano/Keyboards - just mess-around level; mostly for working parts or harmonizing. If I need something complex, I'll write it out in a music notation program and let the computer play it via MIDI

Harmonic - my 'actual' first instrument, reading notes and all, when I was too young to actually remember it. A 'Brian Jones Mojo' brought it back briefly in the 70s, then dropped again.

Drum machine programming because...I'm not coordinated enough to make all four limbs do different things. :)

I did play in a beginning viol da gamba consort/class in college. That was pretty cool. Had to play right-handed even t hough my classical nails (lefty) were digging into the fretboard. Nylon/gut frets. That was pretty cool too.

Also played Gong Ageng (Big Gong), Saron Demung, and Slenthem in the college's Gamelan. Beautiful tonalities!

A borrowed 'thumb piano' back in the 70s. I got bruised thumbnails from playing it too much. No wait! I 'bought' that thing! Where did it go to? Dang!

Wish I could get into cello and upright bass but they're a little hard to find lefty :)

I was always interested in sitar; now that they have them left-handed, I guess there's no excuse - except for...tuning 18-22 strings? I don't think so. With friction pegs? Plus you have to 'tune' the frets?

Same with sarod. Stainless steel fingerboard!

Played a little mridangam (East Indian double-headed hand drum), also back in the 70s.

Funny, I never had any desire to play reeds of any kind nor brass.

Lap steel though; that's totally captivated me right now.

ReplyQuote
(@ewresch)

Heard Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull at the Kodak Theatre in L.A. back in November. Made me want to learn the flute. We'll see how long that desire lasts. It sounded so cool though.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Heard Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull at the Kodak Theatre in L.A. back in November. Made me want to learn the flute. We'll see how long that desire lasts. It sounded so cool though.

I could never get any sound out of one of those things, but I did play a little sax when I was 15 :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I started on percussion (like Doug, it was my principal instrument in college), and I studied piano for several years. I've also played harmonica, flute, and bass... and fooled around enough with violin, clarinet, and trumpet to come to the conclusion I wasn't meant to get music out of them :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

When I was in Hawaii last summer I saw some in the shops. I might have picked one up but wasn't sure it would handle the trip home. :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

the spoons

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4