Best Way to Keep Guitar in Tune w/whammy

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@sunnibear)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey Bob,
Once again you have presented a wealth of info to me... You're right, Parker guitars seem to be a rare breed. I'll always keep on eye out for the opportunity to test drive one. In the meantime I'm going to go w/ the 'ol reliable Strat! I don't think I could ever mail order any guitar w/o trying it 1st, but on the other hand, if return policies are that liberal it's worth considering if it's a rare guitar. By the way, I think you have an awesome site (and store). I will definately refer people to it! Thanks again for all your input and help... Much appreciated!!

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Thanks for the kind words.

I do hope you get to hold a Parker some time. They are something special.

Enjoy your future Strat, they are definitely classics.

Bob ♫ Notes ♫ Norton

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think you have an awesome site (and store).
The product has been well worth it. :) Now if I cn decide on something to play......

As far as your original query, I use some graphite in my nut and saddle slots called "Big Bend's Nut Sauce". It's costly, though. I think I'll try the pencil lead thing next. I used the last of it this past week stringing up a new one. I also have some sort of graphite lubricant that came with something that I hoarded away. I found it and brought it up stairs into the office.....and now it's gone. If I find it, I'll try that too. It should last me years. Decades if I can't find it. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@sunnibear)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

"Big Bend's Nut Sauce"? I'll try some of that. If it doesn't fix my problem, it should at least make a great conversation piece!!! LOL

ReplyQuote
(@chordbender)

Friction & curled knife-edge pivot points are the main culprits. DriSlide in the nut slots helps; locking nuts. Roller saddles help; Teflon saddles almost OK but have issues. String trees add friction so try to look for a guitar with an angled headstock (duh).

Bearing friction & resitance: remove the “factory lube” from bearings (solvent) and then lubricate them with the lighter synthetic oil from ChordBender. Much like the sewing machine oil favored by John Cipollina (a whammy god).

Knife-edges: Jimmy Thackery says graphite or Vaseline will lube.

Retuning is a frustrating job with many whammies (ask a Rose player). Whammies with locks help (Steinberger & ChordBender). Fast locking also helps get back in tune just after a string breaks.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2