Clear all

Bland Playing

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@xeran)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar for a a few years now. Mainly learning by playing other people's music, like my favorite songs and stuff.

Now the time is come where I would really like to play better, as in writing my own stuff. Being able to fiddle around with the guitar and not hate what I do.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Lost hope in life? Visit http://bobsagetonline.com

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, I'll suggest it first since I know it will be suggested anyway. LOL

But make a dedicated effort in the Sunday Songwriters Group. You'll create songs that get you thinking outside the box, get a tremdous support group that will make suggestions for you, and at the end of a year you'll have up to 52 of your own songs to play for folks.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@xeran)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I'll give that a shot. I'm not sure I understand too much of how to join in on it, though.

Lost hope in life? Visit http://bobsagetonline.com

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Its really pretty simple. Each week, on Sunday, the moderator will post the idea for a song. Its a generic think like this week "Write a song about something that inspires you" You interpret what you think that means and you write the lyrics for a song. Alot of us will even write out a TAB'd chord progression, OR if you have the equipment you can even record it and post a link to the recording so folks can hear it.

What is great about it is that it causes you to be more, on the spot, creative. Your writing about a theme someone else has come up with.

To be polite, it a good idea to recipocate and critique others writing.

Let me know if you need me to be more spicific. My kids are screaming in the background so I am having trouble concentrating.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

learn to play melodies. hear a melody in your head or stereo, then play it on the guitar. after that, then start with harmonies. anyway, that's what i'm working on.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Join a band.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Develop severe depression, get some surgery and enjoy pain killers....OOOOPPS. Family site.

That Sunday morning song writers group thing suggested by Geo sounds neat. I've looked in the other songwriting thread, but have no idea what to say. Maybe if I actually tried it.....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The Songwriters Club is there for members who have written songs and want feedback or guidance. The Sunday Songwriters is there for those who want a prompt or a subject. Give the Sunday Songwriters Group a try out for a few weeks - the theme for the week is in Bob's post on a Sunday morning - and then try finding your own inspiration for something and letting it loose in the Songwriters Club.

Somewhere in the articles on this site is one by Nick "Mother Of All Moderators" Torres called 458 things Nick says about writing a song, or something like that. It started off as 35 things, I recall, but it grew a little.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

BAsic advice: If you want to fiddle around and write your own stuff, fiddle around and write your own stuff. It's like asking how you learn to play open chords. You do that by playing open chords. Sit down with your guitar, try to find some chords, dump lyrics over them, finish it off and try to make your second song better.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

If you want some help with some basic chord changes for a new song you can use something called the "CIRCLE OF FIFTHS".
It basically shows you what chords sound good together and what dont.eg C ,Am ,F,G will almost certainly sound good no matter what order you play them.Its a great place to start and especially good when your struggling to find a chorus or middle8 for your new song.
Just do a google search for "the circle of fifths"
Hope this helps.

P.s there is also a way of transposing songs into a different key using a version of it.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote