Blues accompaniment track question

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I thought it would be a good idea to record a 12-bar loop of blues accompaniment. So, on one track I recorded a basic shuffle, and on the second track I recorded a basic bass line. But, when I listen to most blues songs, there are lots of rhytmic fills. There are two that I think I've seen in some material I have, I need to dig them up:
- something like going from 6th chord on the 2nd beat to a 9th chord on the 3rd beat for each of the bars.
- playing the 3 high strings on the up beats for the normal 7th chords

Do these two make sense? Do you have any other good suggestions?

I will put up a current sample (and future experiments) for people to critique. Thanks in advance.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@dickdale)

Have you tried: http://www.guitarbt.com ? They have some great blues tracks there and the best part is that their downloads are free.

Always end on a 6th chord..

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the pointer to the backing track site; but, I already have many downloaded backing tracks, my objective is to learn what would sound good for this ..

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I think I know what you mean Vink: Like, say in the key of G; while the G is happening, you can play a partial chord on the top three strings 4th fret-3rd string, 3rd fret-2nd and 3rd fret-1st (or just that 'angle' of 4th fret-3rd and 3rd fret-first), and then slide up to the 5th fret on each string (or just the 3rd and 1st), and then up again to the 7th fret, straight across again. So you have a little chordal riff going while the G is the main chord.

Then similar with the IV and V chords too. It's those bluesy little in-between partial chords.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

DemoEtc,

Yes, it is exactly that kind of stuff I am asking about! I am looking for either some rough tab, or any resources on the net where such things are documented. I hear it in all the real recordings, so I was hoping some of the blues experts here can help.

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Those little 'slidey' fills are pretty much the same; the angle one followed by 2 straight-across ones. You can even do it on the 4th and 2nd strings; you know how you play that one version of Am7 - where it's 1st fret, 2nd string and then 2nd fret, 4th string - and then you slide those two fingers up so they're both on the 3rd fret, and then up again till they're on the 5th fret.

It's that kind of 'sequence;" angle, straight, straight, but between the two straight across ones you can sorta 'drag' between them to hit that in-between interval. Like on that last one I mentioned, 3rd fret on both 2nd and 4th strings, heading toward 5th fret, 2nd and 4th strings, but you sorta 'slip' over the 4th fret on both on the offbeat so it sorta 'smears' up to the 5th fret.

That real low down dirty feel.

I don't know about tabbing it out; once you see where you can do it with each chord, you just sort of feel your way around it. :)

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I got a pointer to this website from the BigRoadBlues forum, and it seems to have some material for this kind of thing:

http://www.swingblues.com

It is in the "Chord Riffs and Horn Lines" section.

--vink

ReplyQuote