OK heres the Pitch

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a chromatic guitar tuner and I was wondering what one of its functions really means in the real world.
The function I'm referring to is the Pitch capability. I can tune my guitar using the standard A = 440 hz
What does it mean to the sound of my guitar if I lower the frequency to say 435 hz. ? Is this the same as tuning down (some fraction) of a step.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it's the same as tuning down a tad.

A440 is the recognized standard, but it's not used universally. The opera house La Scala uses A435, as do the French - in fact, the French are so fussy about it they actualy enacted a law establishing that as the standard pitch to be used within France.

Many German orchestras use A445, which was their historical standard, and some in other parts of Europe use A442.

The range used to be a lot broader, with A varying by about a perfect fifth from the high end to the low. But that places a great deal of strain on instruments, so now As are in a much narrower range.

The biggest problem is for the piano. Some major orchestras actually maintain two pianos - one for standard, the other for a slightly higher pitch... just in case they get a guest soloist with perfect pitch who's used to a higher tuning.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I was tuning my pedal steel guitar I had to tune a couple of strings five cents flat. that way, when i applied a pedal for a raise it sounded truer to the ear.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply guys.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote