Clear all

Bronze or Phosphor Bronze strings ?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I changed the strings on my steelstringed guitar yesterday.
The old strings was six month old low cost .12 phosphor bronze string that started to sound dull.
I changed to D´Addario EXP (coated) 80/20 bronze strings (rather expensive), but what a difference :lol:
The sound is much clearer and brighter with much more harmonics from the strings.

I am not sure of the difference in sound between Bronze strings and Phosphor Bronze strings?
And what is people using most ?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I use Phosphor strings. I picked them up for cheap, and they sound alright. Not the best but they work out to less then 2 dollars a set compared to 15 in store.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I tried D'Addario Silk & Steel on my acoustic, and haven't gone back since. I had phosphor bronze strings on before and didn't like the tone as much as I do now. Never tried anything else, maybe 80/20 bronze strings will get a chance next time I change strings.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I use Rotosound Country Gold phosphor bronze on my accoustic. Superb sound.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I tried D'Addario Silk & Steel on my acoustic, and haven't gone back since. I had phosphor bronze strings on before and didn't like the tone as much as I do now. Never tried anything else, maybe 80/20 bronze strings will get a chance next time I change strings.

Do the Silk & Steel last long, or do they become dull after a month or so?
Do they get "hairy" after use, which is what's happening to my coated Elixirs?

I've also noticed a huge difference when I changed the saddle and bridge pins to Tusq compensated saddle. The overall sound is brighter.
I'm planning on doing this to my Fender acoustic, which currently sounds "throaty" and the strings are now dull and lifeless.
I have Tusq on my Palmer acoustic. The strings are much older, but still sound good - maybe not as bright, but definitely not dull.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

Do the Silk & Steel last long, or do they become dull after a month or so?
Do they get "hairy" after use, which is what's happening to my coated Elixirs?

They don't dull as much as the mellow, IMO. But that may be personal taste, and they do stop sounding new after a few weeks of everyday use. I haven't noticed any "hairiness" or other unpleasentness. I don't actually think they are coated with anything special either.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

ive found silk and steels don't last long AT ALL. for me, maybe 2 weeks and the strings start to get dull and brown even with cleaning.

I use Martin phosphor bronze. I like them because i think they last longer, and they aren't as bright as the 80/20 bronze. thy are much more mellow. and i like that.

ive actually tried Clapton's Choice on my Seagull, and they're not so bad either.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

ive found silk and steels don't last long AT ALL. for me, maybe 2 weeks and the strings start to get dull

Ditto. I used them when I first started because of the lower tension, but was disappointed with their longevity.

I use the brighter 80/20 bronze on my Yamaha which has rosewood back and sides. It's a fairly warm/mellow guitar, and the brighter strings help.

I just bought a set of DR Extra-life Phosphor Bronze for my maple-backed 12-string, but haven't put them on yet (it has Elixirs so it may be a while ... ) This guitar is very bright, and the phos-bros will hopefully take a little of the edge off.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

ive found silk and steels don't last long AT ALL. for me, maybe 2 weeks and the strings start to get dull and brown even with cleaning.

I use Martin phosphor bronze. I like them because i think they last longer, and they aren't as bright as the 80/20 bronze. thy are much more mellow. and i like that.

ive actually tried Clapton's Choice on my Seagull, and they're not so bad either.

I never heard tell of Clapton's Choice until I was Thrusday, when I was in the local shop chatting to the owner. Are they new by chance?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

yeah martin released them not too long ago. maybe a few months. i read a guitar mag recommendation about em that said you should use light guage on small guitars and medium on heavy guitars. Im not sure why. Apparently, they aren't just the run-of-the-mill martin phosphour bronze strings...maybe eric clapton touched them or something.

i have only used them on my Seagull, so i dunno if they are good for dreadnaughts at the .12 gauge.

they cost the same as regular martin SPs too

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote