Clear all

CAGED for Dummies

24 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

kido,

thanks alot for all the recent posts on the CAGED system. its awesome!
count me in for the practice routine, hope it gets going - should be really helpful, im particularily excited by the idea of learning song construction and things like harmony.

looking forward to hearing more
mord

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

Just so I'm clear, the roman neumerals above the charts represent what fret the top of the chart is at?

NO, i believe he's just numbering them by sequence so to speak, look at the charts again and you will see that the modes are pieces of the scale.

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, yeah, but where does it start? First fret?

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

yes, the first 5 frets your index finger should cover frets 1 and 2 your middle goes to fret 3 and your ring to 4 and your pinky will cover 5 . i'm pretty sure that is how it goes, i know i was reading something awhile back that talked about your index should cover 1 & 2 and your pinky should cover 5 and 6.

Basically look at the scale, you want to place your index finger on the first note it shows for eample the E for todays would be first fret, strike the string, then you willplace yourmiddle finger on the 3rd fret, strike the string again, then place your pinky on the 5th fret and strike the string again, then move to the 5th string etc. until you have completed the scale pattern down, then come back up backwards, go real slow, you'll pick up speed the more you do it so worry about that later.

I hope this helps.

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

metaellihead - the roman numerals refer to the modes of the scale.
I = ionian, II = dorian and i forget the rest :p
anyway, they're all part of the main scale, but with different root notes.

as for where to start, it doesnt matter. if you play the C shape starting at the fifth fret, you're in the key of A, seventh the key of B.
just learn the shapes, they you can apply them to any key by changing the root note, or starting point.

hope that helps :)
mord

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Cool. Thanks for clearing it up, everyone. This should be floated or somthing.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

Well the .pdf for my finished article got sent out, I was told David should reply soon, so all is well. And I wasnt accusing you of humbling my stance....humbling my position was my intention. I appreciate the service we are all offered here. I dont want to ruffle feathers, Id rather not say anything then get people angry.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Pup,
You don't have the information correct in either case. I'm locking the thread. Yes, the forums are moderated. Yes, posts are sometimes removed. Some of mine have been removed. Yes, we do expect people to use decent language and to behave civilly. No, I do not think moving the thread was wrong. And the other thread was cancelled at the author's request. You assume you know more than you do. We all do from time to time. But I think there are respectful ways to disagree. That's the code we ask everyone to abide by.
The thread's locked. It may be removed. If it is, it won't be because of the opinions expressed but because of the manner in which they were expressed.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Dang everybody, chill out.

I got rid of all of the posts that were off topic. Nobody else. No one IM'd me. I just won't allow flame wars here. It would ruin the forum, don't you think?

If any of you can't live with that, go post somewhere else. There are lots and lots of other guitar related sites that will let you post anything your little heart desires.

Jon, you keep working with us and we will figure out a way to make the process smoother.

We do appreciate your input, efforts and talent.

Nick

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2