CAGED Positions

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 J123
(@j123)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Im trying to apply the caged system to the major scale. I understand the roots of a scale and I understand the concept of the 5 positions. My question are

can you tell which of the 5 positions to apply based on what string the root is on? for example if its 6 string use the E shape if its the 4 string use _____, 3rd string use ______

Once I understand the question above, do certain positions dictate a certain fingering? for example if you use the E form your second finger is root, if you use the D form you _____finger is root, etc etc

Thanks!

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Using C major, i think it would be something like:

Both shapes G (8th fret, E string, 5th fret A string, 7th fret A string, 8th fret A string, 5th fret D string, etc.) and E would start on the 6th string. Both C and A would start on the 5th string and D would be on the 4th string. Hopefully I am correct about this, it should be fairly accurate.

Transposing to other keys is simply a matter of moving frets up or down.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

As far as I know it doesn't matter what string the root is on. If you start with an open C chord, the next shape you will use is A (barre on 3rd fret, A relative to barre). If you start with an open A, then the next shape will be G (barre on 2nd fret, G relative to barre). If you start with D, the next shape will be C (barre on 2nd fret, C relative to barre), etc. etc..

ReplyQuote