Clear all

Can anyone help...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I want to be able to play like a busker-any busker-by this I mean just playing the chords to songs-not neccesarily playing rythmns laden with embelishments although I can perfect this at a later date.
The trouble is I'm useless at rythmn playing and would appreciate any help I could get in this area.
Does anyone have any advice or know of any useful sites where I can develop this skill???
Now I've been playing for over 10 years so I do have some skills but when I started I think I started to run before I could walk and therfore neglected some of the basics as a result my rythmn playing sounds boring...thanks in advance.
Stu

(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Back to basics then my friend. One of the most despised forms of advice is to grab a begginers book (Berklee press/Hal Leonard) and refine those overlooked techniques. Metronomes are key for the style you want, if you dont always use one you need to start.

I however, wouldnt do that. I have the discipline of a two year old with jello.

So if you want to work on your chordal rythm and embelishments, you need to find some songs that have the playing style you admire and work on them.

Its obvious that if you know what you want to sound like, you must have heard some reference to what youd like to play, find it mimic it then master it.

Work on your own methods from that point.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

I would second what Kido said. Its back to basics time!

Pick a song that's strummable (on the Easy Song Database there are quite a few - most of the ones i have posted are strummable), get yourself a decent metronome and go to work.

One big tip here. Let's say you know roughly what speed a song is, say 100bpm, play that to death until you are RIGHT on the money. Then play it at 60bmp. See if you can still keep accurate time - its not easy! This is excellent practise though.

As for embellishments - keep it simple. Little hammer ons are good, and the old trick of doing D - Dsus 4 - Dsus 2 - D is always worth a try where there is a long D chord held in a song.

I always think of Johnny Cash when this kind of question crops up - despite owning up to only knowing a handful of chords, his sense of timing and placement of little bass runs always makes a song interesting.

And as the old adage goes, just 'cos you have 6 strings, doesn't mean you have to play all of 'em! try playing partial chords or bass strumming, it will all add to your (and more importantly your listener's) enjoyment.

Good luck, and get that metronome out!

Matt

ReplyQuote