Clear all

Getting lessons soon

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@shadychar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll be starting my first guitar lessons after having played for a year, although I don't feel as if I've gotten a year's worth out of it. I'm not very far along in the learning process, mostly because of my lack of good practice. I'm sure I've picked up some bad habits, and I'm really afraid of having to play in front of someone. I don't know any songs all the way through, and I'm not terrific at the ones I can play. I'm worried about going in and having to unlearn everything so I can learn it right, or having the teacher think I'm awful.

Thanks for listening to me whine, now on to the point. I was just wondering what I should expect going into my first lesson, and if there's anything I should know beforehand.

(@olive)
Estimable Member

I was just wondering what I should expect going into my first lesson, and if there's anything I should know beforehand.

You should have a clear understanding of what exactly you want to get out of your lessons. Spend a little time letting your teacher know what your guitar goals are. The more he/she knows about your goals the better chance you have of getting more out of your lessons.

As far as being nervous...I'm the same way. The only thing I can tell you is that it does get easier week by week. Eventually you'll get to know your teacher a bit and it won't feel so awkward.

Enjoy your lessons!

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Besides knowing what you want out of the lessons, your teacher will also need to know what you've accomplished so far. That's where the playing comes in. I know this is far easier said than done, but there should be no need to fret (sorry, couldn't resist) about playing in front of him (or her). He is not there to be an audience, he's there to help you learn the guitar which includes helping you work past anything giving you trouble. All of us who have taken lessons have had to play those first, unpolished notes in front of an accomplished teacher. He won't judge you, but should encourage, advise and motivate you.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I think it might be a good idea to write down a short description of your background, style of music you like and want to focus on, favorite bands musicians etc. Also mention where you are now, what you've managed to learn so far, etc. I think it is good to write it out, just a short paragragh or two, because I easily get distracted in those situations and forget to mention half the things I intended too. Also it gives the teacher something to stick in your file to remind him or herself of what your interests and expectations are and also so they can't say later "you never told me you wanted to learn that!" You might also write down a few questions to ask of the teacher so you know a bit about his/her teaching style and what their expectations are. You'll probably be spending a fair chunk of money on lessons so you deserve to have a good understanding right from the start.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

excellent advice from Spacedog.

Remember its YOUR MONEY and the teacher is there to help you, not the other way round. And you can bet your pay packet, that no matter how bad YOU are, he will have seen far worse!

All i would say is that at the end of the day its up to you to put into place the things that he / she teaches you, and to be prepared to practice, practice and practice.

Good luck!

Matt

ReplyQuote