Clear all

Changing strings question

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a set of martin 12's on my acoustic, been on there for like 10 monthes. I know alot of people change strings more often, but I don't really perform yet except for the occasional person listening. I am wondering why change them if their in tune and most of my playing is practice. New strings will sound better i'm sure but the sound I get is ok I think

(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Hey, if you don't think you need to change them then don't change them. I tend to leave mine on until I realize they've changed color. Some people hate having dull old strings because they like the clarity and brightness of new strings but unless you're gigging and not playing for anyone else then I guess leaving them on doesn't hurt anyone but you. The down side is that really old strings are in more danger of breaking while playing.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I thought as much. The only thing I was thinking is a deader sound could hurt my ear training but thats really nit picking. Been playing a bit over a year and haven't gotten round to changing em myself I just let the shop do it, so it safes me time and money. I know a guy who will show me that though as a favor

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

When they really get old, they don't intonate well. Then it's time to change them. Often you think they've been sounding OK, but the difference in sound with new ones will really get your attention.

I think everyone should learn how to do it themselves.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree and while your at it you can clean the fretboard and such. Doubt the guy at the store will do it for you without charging you. Plus you save money. Time? I can change my strings in 10 to 15 minutes. Not a big deal.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just meant it would save me that trip to the store this time but yeah I know I gotta get around to seeing how its done. If a string breaks I could have strings handy and just put em on. I guess I just been only concerned with the playing part

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

changing strings is pretty easy. just be carefull not to jab your finger with the string, those high e's tend to act like needle's. It's worth learnig though.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

those high e's tend to act like needle's.They work well enough for applying jailhouse tattoos, I understand. I keep some pieces of different size strings around for poking out little holes, like carburetor jets and such.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

............and cleaning nut slots.......

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i think if you are asking yourself if they need to be changed, they then DO need to be changed.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I guess as soon as i'm finish procratinating i'll get to it :)

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

I sort of think the same, way, I only play around the house anyways. I'm coming up to a year of playing and ready to do my third change.

For sure do it yourself, you really can't do much harm, maybe break a string or poke yourself.

It is also a good time to clean the fretboard and frets.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I guess as soon as i'm finish procratinating i'll get to it :)When is National Procrastination Day, anyway? Did we miss it again? :lol:

I printed this out a long time ago. Now I just have to get a "round tuit." My acoustic 12-string needs its strings changed, and I have some new bridge pins to try out, too. Twice the fun! https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=300

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member

I agree and while your at it you can clean the fretboard and such. Doubt the guy at the store will do it for you without charging you. Plus you save money. Time? I can change my strings in 10 to 15 minutes. Not a big deal.

Indeed, i work in a music shop and we charge 15 quid for a restring, 10 for the actual restring and 5 for the strings, rip off i know :lol:

I do tend to give the guitars a good clean though, no extra charge, as i cant stand a dirty guitar, even if it isnt mine.

Oh and i change mine like once a month usually, when i get paid.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And you might want to consult Fret.com's restringing clinic. It's a great resource.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote