Guitar brand "hierarchy", ranking brands by "

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey All,
I'm staring to look for my second acoustic guitar :D . I'm starting to play again after about 25 years and I'm using a Takamine F363 that I got when I was about 19. It is still in fine shape (hardly used, unfortunately :( ) and sounds nice, but I want to get another, partly GAS and partly because I've got one of those jobs where I can actually sit around at work and play, so I want one for home and one for work. O.k., I admit it, it's mostly GAS!

I've read a lot of the other threads on buying guitars and I don't mean to start a debate about "what's your favorite guitar" or even "what guitar would you recommend". I also realize that the best guitar for me is the one that sounds best to me. But I'm trying to find out how you would rank the manufacturers for quality and craftsmanship.

Like this quote from Twisted Lefty in the Meet & Greet forum "New, and buying a guitar":
Squier is the Fender budget line or entry level guitar, the affinity squier is the least expensive and lowest quality. they are made overseas and they have improved quality control vastly in recent years. some here at GN will swear by them.
the trade off between them and MiM Fenders (mexi) is usually in quality of hardware, materials, and quality control. the MiM Fenders have parts such as necks and bodies made at the US factory in Corona and assembled in mexico.
MiA Fenders are completely made and assembled in the US, the quality control is much higher (some will rightly argue this) and the hardware is of higher quality.
there are also Fender guitars made overseas (japan, korea) such as the recently re-released strat 12string and several other models as well

I'm looking at acoustics in the $500-$750 range, I don't think I should go any higher at this point. Maybe later I'll be lucky enough to be considering a $3,000 guitar like LuvGilmour, but I'm nowhere near that point yet :lol: . I know this is also open to debate, but what brands are known to have better components, quality control and basically, the better reputation for making good guitars in this price range?

Any input would be appreciated,
thanks,
Dave
P.S. Thanks for all the inspiration, this site is a fantastic resource and I'm really glad I found it!!! I'm especially happy to realize I'm not the only post-40 year old guy that's starting over with the guitar after all these years.