Clear all

Cheapo Hohner Acoustic

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ive just been practically given an old, beat up Hohner Arbor LW400 acoustic guitar. As I havent got an acoustic I thought I'd give it a go, a clean up, new set of Martin 80/20 strings (11's) a good tweak on the truss rod to straighten out the neck and file a touch off the bottom of the bridge and what do you know, it sounds really good. It must be about 25 years old, a bit of fret wear and a few minor scratches but overall its fairly tidy. Is it worth the £20 UK I paid, I only really intended to get it as a stopgap to see if I could justify getting a half decent acoustic but it could end up staying a while - it sounds very sweet and mellow. Does anyone have any information on the age/construction or anything else on these things? I tried Hohner but they weren't much help.

I know its only a battered old orange box but Ive become surprisingly attached to it quickly! I was looking at a Yamaha or Tanglewood, something in the price range of about £150 new but I dont know..................maybe I should wait a little longer now I have this? or is it actually a piece of firewood?

Info if you can please!! thanks

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

if it sounds good what does it matter :?:

any guitar that you enjoy playing cannot be firewood :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

keep it. Hohner's aren't bad at all.

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Funny that this should be here; I was about to post about the Hohner acoustic I scored off of Craigslist! I think I will anyway.
I've been casting about for a second acoustic, ideally a 3/4 size that my 8-year-old son can handle, but big enough for me to play as well, with a clean, bright sound. I found this one in town for $30 (U.S.):

It's an HW 200 model. A little bigger and heavier than I was looking for, but I couldn't put it down. When I was putting on the new D'Addario 10's I bought for it, I noticed this:

An adjustable bridge! On a bargain acoustic, no less! The high E string I was putting on broke as I was tuning it, though :cry: . But I had a spare B string from another set of 10's, so I threw it on, slowly cranked it up, dropped the bridge a little on that side, and this guitar sounds really good! It's got a good, strong voice. The action is sky-high, but that makes it good for slide :wink: . It has a solid, hefty feel to it, and with three boys in the house, that is essential. Definitely a keeper. Price, to me, is secondary to sound and feel. I'm playing the guitar, not so much the name. But you could probably tell that from my sig. line :wink:

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote