Clear all

Climate

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cobra22)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Alright I live in northern Utah. Here it is dry and cold. So I am wondering what I need to worry about with my guitar and this climate. Such as transportation, and submiting my axe to the cold and then the warmth inside. And the humidity well the lack there of inside the house. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am addicted to the guitar, just like I am addicted to air and water.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Keep your guitar away from outside walls in the house. When transporting it allow it to aclimate in the case for awhile and always tune it up before playing.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It also very much depends on what type of guitar you have. Acoustics built with solid (non-laminated) woods are the most vulnerable to extremes of and/or rapidly changing temp and humidity. OTOH, solidbody (non-hollow, but laminated or solid) electrics are pretty tough, and can deal pretty well with most environments in which you can survive in light clothing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Keep it in it's case when your not playing it. Warm you car up before take it out. If your uncomfortable so is your guitar. If it's an acoustic get a humidifier if needed. Know the humidity level in your home. Just because it's dry outside doesn't mean it is inside and visa versa. If it's dry inside your home you might want to also get a Texas humidifier (Aquarium). House plants also help keep the humidity up in your home (if you water them). Both are good for you and your guitar. I especially like spider plants they are easy to take care of and also filter the air.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes , keeping it in a well padded harshell case would be a good idea.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

a Texas humidifier (Aquarium).

Hahaha! Never heard that one! :lol:

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

a Texas humidifier (Aquarium).

Hahaha! Never heard that one! :lol:

Forgot about that trick. We've got three guitars I rotate them into the room with the aquarium in it. The turtle doesn't seem to mind. 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote