Notifications
Clear all

college and moving to san diego is me.

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@curbside_prophet)
Topic starter  

I am in 8th grade.  I am 12.  (Don't leave!)  Anyway, I started playing the guitar in April, and everyone else says it's too early for such things,  but I wanted to be a musician since I was seven, and to me that's a long enough time.
I was going to move to San Diego when I graduate when I'm 17 and go play music there.  But my problem is I never did know how to start a band.  I've never been very social, and the people I know are either too immature for such responsibilities, or they don't know anything about music.  I also don't know how to go about doing anything else.  I'm going to do that sending a demo to a mmanager thing, but I don't know any managers either.
I'm just so confused, and the guidance counselors at school refuse to help, because at school they're the You're Too Young For That! type, or the You Have To Have A Traditional Lifestyle type, which I hate, only too bad they're everywhere.
-Laura ???

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hey Laura - don't run away!  There are lots of musical opportunities around you, if you know where to look.  Read through some of the articles in the Other Side forum.

If you feel that you are older than your classmates, then look to see if you can jam with older kids, or even adults.  You've got a lot of energy to put into music, so don't give up hope yet.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Laura,
You are never too young to play!  A lot of great artists started playing and writing songs at just your age or even younger.  If you love it, go for it and keep on playing. You will only get better.
It does get frustrating waiting for people your age to catch up to your abilities, but as Laz says, you can find older people to play with.  

Does anyone in your family play an instrument? Your parents or brothers or sisters? Can you work out a schedule with friends or family that do play?  They may seem immature for the responsibility of having a band, but if you call the practice and keep everyone on a schedule, you just may find that you have some others to practice and play with.  You may be the organizing spark they need!

I don't know about traditional lifestyles, but I would encourage you to stay in school (which it sounds like you intend to), to continue to accrue the skills you'll need for later in life, in addition to your music.  You may find that in high school, the counselors and other folk will be more in tune with helping you pursue your dream of being a musician.

Best of luck and keep playing!

ReplyQuote
(@curbside_prophet)
Topic starter  

good idea; now if I could only get them to talk to me... :)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I will encourage you to keep a positive mind and continue practicing and playing. Believe in your self and tell yourself everyday I'am a winner, I'm going to be the best darn guitar player in the world.( you may as well aim for the heavens cause I see your going to be a star.).
I did. It wasn't easy but I persevered.

"You're Too Young For That! type, or the You Have To Have A Traditional Lifestyle type"
Back a few years ago and with my rebellious side now starting to show here, I would have told you to tell them &6*# up a rope and who do you think you are telling me I shouldn't be a Rock star. (nothing worse than schmucks trying to tell you what to be)

Now that I'm a dad I'll give you better choice of positive advice, no sense in creating any more problems with them than they've already created. Cheer up, Here's a little story for that.

Try telling that to my 8 year old. She been around music industry since she was born, And daughter like dad she was born with a guitar in her hands. She has sang and played guitar with professionals and local bands since she was even younger than that. And it's not because these bands know she's my daughter and who I'm. its because they know she is all business when it comes to being a musician and great stage presents. its not the attention it draws when shes up there singing songs like (Kenny w. Shepard's / blue on black) or sporting dad's old white Gibson explorer from the mid 70's.

It's because she loves being a musician and thats what she wants be. And YES, I encourage her whole heartily on this or anything else she would want to be. do you think she'll let someone tell her that shes to young to be doing that. She'll tell you,(well I better not use her same words)...LOL

The point I'm trying to convey is Listen to them and keep an open mind, but at the same time remembering what you want from life and what you have to do to achieve it. Too many young people are indoctrinated by adults to think and act within such tight constraints that they never discover their unique gifts. I think with all the negatives that face our young people today, it is important to expose them to as many positive influences as possible and to explore their creative incite.

That developing respect between adults and young people is important. Young people are more likely to respect parents and adults who show them respect too. Good ways to do this include treating young people as people, listening to what they have to say and trying to listen to the feelings behind their words. Myself I create a reasonable, respectful atmosphere at home and that encourages her to be co-operative and think positive which beings out her creative talent.

To conclude:

Reading what you've stated, I can see a very intelligent and creative mind, I also see the qualities that make a great musician and person. They obviously they don't have a clue on how to bring the best out in you. And thats sad, sad because their the ones who will lose out. Your not the only one, This is a problem that faces many young people today, overcoming obstacles and developing self-confidence will bring out your inspirational thoughts and songs that will build character and help keep proper perspectives in your life.

By all means staying in school and move on to college if possible, this is important because this will improve your knowledge, your career and your life choices.

Sorry I'm not much on posting technique's or explaining things for people to understand what I'm saying. I'm a guitar player not a columnist,  I play guitar and write songs this what I do.
I chased my dream and with hard work turned it into reality. I believe you can too.

Hope this helps...Joe

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Joe,
Thanks for continuing to write words of encouragement to other readers!  It is helpful for younger players starting out to hear that they can pursue their talents, and suceed, as you have.

Laura, I echo Joe.  Keep working on your talent!.  While it can be difficult to approach others who don't necessarily understand you, you may find that if you have love of music in common, those folk will understand you better, talk to you, and best of all play guitar with you.

Keep the faith  ;D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

babydoclaz ....Thank you.

I try to reflect that not everyone thinks negatively. There are people in the world that do think positive and will encourage you to become a better person. I've spend most of my life playing guitar from another level and thankfull now I have a chance to give some back. If even one chord, one note or something I try to put into words Helps someone, then perhaps its a start on making the world a better place.

Successful motivation takes careful thinking on how to encourage people to accomplish things that can make a difference in their life. A Musician like myself does whatever is needed and expects no extra reward other than the satisfaction of having the effort recognized. the power of basic kindness and respect. Being thoughtful, friendly and polite to those around you is a very simple form of behaviour that can effecitvely make this a happier life.

Lets create a positive culture, where people feel happy to be involved.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

forrok,

don't apologise, you're far more eloquent than you think.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

don't apologise, you're far more eloquent than you think.

I agree

ReplyQuote