Notifications
Clear all

Do we need a manager?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jessz)
Topic starter  

I'm in an original rock/pop band with my brother and sister and we are all under 17 years of age. Anyways, we have about 15 songs and would like to start performing gigs. Do you think we should get a manager? It's just that getting gigs for people as young as us is hard so i thought a manager could help.

"Like my brother Jimmie says, I play like I'm breaking out of jail."-Stevie Ray Vaughan

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I would say NO.  You can do your own advertising and make the arrangements.  The only thing you can't do is sign a legal contract, but one of your parents could sign for you.

Read Lesa McCabe's articles over in Music Careers in the Working Bands section:

http://www.musiccareers.net/bands.php

Good Luck!
Laz

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

I agree with Laz. To help you out on this topic (and there's a bit of work involved, hehehe), go to the Interviews section, there's an interview there I did a couple of years ago with Bob Roper, Rik Emmett's (Triumph) manager.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What you (or any band) needs to get gigs is someone who can 'sell' the band to club owners, booking agents, etc.

If that person exists in your band, you don't need an agent... until you're making enough money (and dislike selling enough) to pay someone to do it for you.

I've done it both ways.  In my experience, if you can find someone who WANTS to be a manager, and has sales ability and drive, you'll be better off with them than with a 'professional' manager.  A pro may be handling a number of acts, and if one is hot... well, that's what's buttering his bread, and you'll get the leftover bits of his time.

Tom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Rob
(@rob)
Trusted Member

i'd say no as well

to get off the ground and some experience you'll probably have to do some gigs for free before you can get loads of people to come and pay to see you, so how were you going to pay a manager??

if your all siblings and under 17 chances are that at least one of you is still at school, and chances are that your school has a large hall.

start off arranging a gig there, and playing at any school events that you can, u have a captive audience :)

then progress outwards into the real world.

also theres loads of stuff about self promotion on the internet,
try sites like

www.taxi.com
www.getsigned.com
www.bob-baker.com/buzz/index.html

it takes a bit of looking but they all have pages with loads of useful articles telling you how to promote your band and other stuff.

good luck

rob

ReplyQuote
(@jessz)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your replies everyone!
:)
I think we won't wory about getting a manager yet and probably take your advice on playing more at school.

"Like my brother Jimmie says, I play like I'm breaking out of jail."-Stevie Ray Vaughan

ReplyQuote
(@storymwstring)
Eminent Member

imho,
at 17, it's best to start with people you've known all your life to help manage your career.  now's the time to concentrate on your performing, not making sure your manager is watching out for you or not.

best wishes and keep on trucking!

Steve

How come you fret the guitar upside down?
I just want to play all day

ReplyQuote