Clear all

Distortion pedal-->amp distortion??

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry I seem to be flooding the message boards with all of my 2 topics, but I was wondering something.

Think about this, I have a digitech screamin blues overdrive pedal which I love, but thats another story, and I have a small peavy amp that has overdrive of course. Sometimes when I feel saucy I turn both overdrives on instead of just the pedal. Is this common? Do you know of anyone who does this? why do they do it? Sometimes the buzz is just way too much on it though and it doesn't sound clear at all. I guess I'm just asking your thoughts on this.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you're getting too much buzz, could be you're too near the amp, or could just be tooooooooooo much overdrive.....

I posted a question a few months ago, about amp buzz, and someone (Gnease? Forrokstar?) gave me a list of pointers....

The ones I was able to correct easily were....don't have your amp near a fluorescent light, don't have it near the wall socket, and don't have it near the comp.....

Doubtless one of the above-named good guys will have more do's and don'ts.....meantime I suggest you ask this question on the Amps and FX forum......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I was in my local store and they had an Ibanez effects line that I ws trying out, and I turned on a distortion pedal and a tubescreamer, and wow, it buzzed like crazy but I sounded like Van Halen without learning any of his songs, I just randomly double-hand tapped and it sounded like him. :lol: Maybe you could get a noisegate pedal? I don't know much about those though, maybe somebody could help you. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW how's that Screamin' Blues pedal?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Minimizing hum and buzz: Keep your guitar away from computers, CRTs, TV, flourescent lamp, building wiring and similar -- especially single-coil guitars. Obviously that's not always possible. So for high gain set-ups, it's best to use a guitar with proper pup/control cavity shielding and that has humbucking -- or better yet active humbucking pups. Stacked "single" coil pups are the equivalent of humbuckers, as is a single coil guitar equipped with a dummy coil. The Ernie Ball Axis Sport (variation of the EVH Wolfgang) and Gibson Blues Hawk are each a P90-type pup guitars with dummy coil).

And as yoyo suggests, a noise gate is probably a good idea.

Any guitar can be shielded to take care of part of the problem. Here's a reference on doing it for Strats: GuitarNuts

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yoyo, I love the pedal personally, but I really don't have any say in it because I havn't compared it with let's say the boss blues pedal or to other distortion pedals besides the few digitech ones I tried out in the store when I bought it. But there's good sustain and you can get that "tin can" sound with it. I like it.

Anyway, back to the question, my question wasn't more along the lines of how do I get rid of this buzz, my question was leaning more towards this. Do any of you guys ever play like this? Or do you know of anyone who plays with both distortions on? Thanks.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I've heard some fairly "noisy" bands before on studio releases and live performances. There is a whole genre of doom/death bands that seem to have fairly "noisy" guitar work (ie., Electric Wizard). If you like the sounds you get and you can find like minded musicians to play with and fans to listen, then what the heck, do as you please. I do play with distortion/overdrive pedals on in addition to the gain turned up on my amps. You can really get a lot of sounds that way. Tweak the sound until you find good sounds for different songs. Good luck, have fun!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote