Clear all

Strumming Patterns and my thoughts

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I was browsing the topics and I came across one with questions on strumming patterns in the beginners forum. It asked about particular strumming patterns for the song Jet Plane. This made me think, I have been playing for about 10 months now and I never bothered to learn strumming patterns.
You see, when I hear a song and learn the tab for it I play it, and after playing for a few months or more strumming patterns just kind of come to you. You know when to upstroke/downstroke, when it sounds right, etc. Or, if you guys think what I just said is a bunch of crap then I say this. I pick my own strumming patterns for songs, and they sound just as good compared to the originals (I'm not trying to boast).
What do you guys think?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I agree with you completely.
As long as you are getting the chord changes in time and you can play a nice rhythm that is all that is really needed.
You do develop a skill of just knowing how to strum to make any song recognizable and still make it your own.
I have less time playing than you but there are a number of songs that just fell into place right away. others I had to play around with.
A song that I can hear in my head but am not sure just how to strum it , I start with just down strums and then add upstrums here and there until I get the sound I want.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've posted a few songs on the Database.....no problem with chords, riffs fills etc....but when it comes to strumming patterns, I can hear them in my mind's ear, I just find it incredibly difficult to transcribe what I hear in my head to paper.....

I'd say practising a song will give you the feel of a strum pattern....the more you listen, the more you play along, the easier you'll get the hang of it.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Yeah, I've never understood all these people who preach "the strumming pattern to song X is DU DDU UDD UD" etc.

If you ask me these strumming patterns are a load of doggie DUDU ;)

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Yeah, I've never understood all these people who preach "the strumming pattern to song X is DU DDU UDD UD" etc.

If you ask me these strumming patterns are a load of doggie DUDU ;)

Ah but some begginners have to start somewhere their ear isn't trained and they're taking in alot of information at once with chord changes timing ect..

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if you're learning ani difranco or keller williams or funk, the syncopated rhythms and so forth are important. almost anyone else, and they're just keeping the chord structure apparent.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

In some cases it's important... there are some punk and metal songs that should follow strick downpicking or else it won't sound right (and it might even be awkward to play otherwise). Also, in funk strumming it's important, like previously mentioned. I think it's good for beginners to learn alot of different strumming patterns, but after a while you do kinda pick simplier patterns up.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, interesting I'd have thought people would be all over my back for making that coment, that's a pleasant surprise. But yes, I could see how downstrokes in punk and other types are important.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I have found that watching someone strumm a song is the best way to pick it up. I can't always tell when I'm listening to a cd whether I'm hearing down strokes or up strokes.

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

I'm with you on that one. I can just feel the rythm and strum to it and the upstrokes and downstrokes come naturally. I think a lot of people put too much effort in getting all the D's and U's correct when reading tab. I've tried to read the D's and U's in some tabs, but I get all screwed up trying to focus on which one I'm oing. When I just play along as I feel it, I get it right on point anyway - so I stopped bothering with them. This is even true with syncopated rhythms, once you can feel it you got it.

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Hope its alright to bump an older thread but i'm glad I found this because the strum pattern thing always bewildered me to. I do practice patterns to a metronome for timing purposes, but when strumming a song I am often not even aware of any pattern. My brain says that sounds good so do it again hand, but do it different here. Certain songs like the intro of 'my sweet lord' is a standard pattern ( unless you wish for it to sound different) and if your playing rhythm in a band when a certain background is needed then yes stay with that pattern, but when playing and backing up your own singing, or just playing its your call

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I learnt "Pretty Woman" some time ago, with a particular strumming pattern. I saw a video of this song being performed live by Roy Orbison - and sang it to a simple UDUD... rhythm.

I really don't think it matters as long as the flavour of the song comes across.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

I strongly believe in training different patterns both for strumming and picking.

Eventually you'll not think about it anymore, because then you can improvise and play the way you feel for right now! At least thats how it works for me. And practice to alter between picking and strumming and combine the two. It's not as hard as you first think, and it's so rewarding.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I pretty much agree with all the comments above. I think all in all patterns come automatically after some length of playing. However, patterns don't come automatically when you are just starting out so it is helpful to get a pattern from someone to get you started on a song. This can help significantly with the satisfaction level and keep you interested

So, my opinion is that it is Handy to have a variety of strumming patterns in your arsenal so you have a base to start from when you figure out a song. There is also no harm in practicing a variety of patterns to a variety of chord progressions to hone your skills even if it does not sound like a song.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Yeah I may be doing that to, depending to much on one pattern without even being aware of it. I can mix all kinds of patterns just strumming chords, but playing a song isn't as easy to mix it up. I try to stay aware of my strumming but I often concentrate on other things like timing and chord changes, plus singing....maybe in time it will work out

ReplyQuote