Clear all

Distortion- the old time way

17 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

We are always talking about tube amps and distortion around here as you probably know. All the old geezer guitar players especially rave about their tube amp saturation and how it sounds better than modern pre-amp distortion. Well, that's a matter of opinion and taste.

But I think a lot of people are not sure what this tube saturation type distortion sounds like. It is quite different from modern distortions.

Anyway, I found this video of Neil Young while answering another post. Now this is what a tube amp sounds like pushed to the limit. It's a long video but well worth it. Listen how great (or bad depending on your taste) Neil's amp sounds at the end. It is making all kinds of noises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9LgG7a_1Q

This is the old school type of distortion players in the 50's and 60's used. Just crank your amp to max and hope it doesn't blow up. :D

I just thought this is a fun video and certainly shows the difference between the type of distortion you get from pushing a tube amp versus using a high gain distortion pedal.

I like this distortion better, but then, I'm a geezer. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, that's the way I like it! 8) 8) Nothing like tube amp distortion. :D Great find Wes, thanks. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Speaker distortion too - hardly ever discussed ;)

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Shucks Wes

Now I miss my '64 Fender Bassman.

That was a great amp.

Thanks for the clip.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That is NOT distortion - that is the way an amp is SUPPOSED to sound!! :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

It also shows why I love the sound of p-90's into a cranked amp. Nothing like it on this earth :D 8) :D

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It was definitely a P-90 in the neck, but the bridge PUP looked a little bigger (or am I crazy) and he had it set in the bridge position the whole way. I liked that guitar though. If it's two P-90's with a Bigsby (or Burns), that would be a nice guitar to have. Maybe, I'll get an Agile and add a Bigbsy.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Did I hear someone say they should get an Agile?!? I just so happen to have a really nice AL-3000, in spalted rootbeer that I want to sell for $300. I know that they are $370 (or so) new, but I replaced the garbage pickups with real Gibson's - 57 Classic in the neck and 57 Classic + in the bridge! I also had it set up, etc. My total cost in the guitar is around $600. I bought it early this year, but rarely play it, after my wife bought me my dream guitar - a Gibson LP Standard in cherryburst, with 50s neck. VERY little playing time on it, but it is very nice.

Anyway, if you are interested in my Agile, PM me and I can give you all the details and more pictures.

sorry for highjacking the thread!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Nice guitar - CFB! Unfortunate timing for my expenditures. You'll find a taker though, no doubt!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Think that video answered my questions. It has a crunch to it, not a tone I'd be after but that's how it sounds. I like the modern stuff better though. I did just buy a Randall tube amp and have yet to do the saturation thingy. Haven't had the need to.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

It was definitely a P-90 in the neck, but the bridge PUP looked a little bigger (or am I crazy) and he had it set in the bridge position the whole way. I liked that guitar though. If it's two P-90's with a Bigsby (or Burns), that would be a nice guitar to have.
Not to perpetuate the "hijacking" of the thread , but here's some more info (or links to more info) on the LP that Neil calls "Old Black." http://www.thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm I didn't have any luck finding pics on the guitarramania.com page mentioned there, but I didn't go through all the pages of the thread, either.
It's got a Bigsby, and it looks like one old warhorse. I love that sound that he gets out of it. He might not like the name if he ever heard it, but one can see why somebody once called Neil the "Godfather of Grunge."
If anyone's been trying to find a Deluxe amp but can't seem to get one, scroll down almost to the bottom of the thrasherswheat page to see who's apparently bought up most of the world's supply of them. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member

:o Must, buy, tube amp.... :D This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the video Wes! Have you ever considered a job as an amp salesman? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Man, if I bought another amp, the wife would moiderize me. I'd love one of the those Fender Hot Rod Deluxes though......

I'll have to do with my solid state and effects board for quite a while. Heck, I got no reason to complain. For what I do, it does me just fine.

But if I had one of those tube amps..........

Stop it! Take your meds and shut up!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHiCPNv0iDs

young and zep

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

My Dad and I the past week have finished building our own Fender 5E3 Deluxe Tweed Clone! And must say... it doesnt have the sparklings clean at high volumes. But darn if it doesnt nail that Neil Young grit! We put it in a head format so we can use it with a 4x10 custom cab! :D

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2