Skip to content
Does how you guitar...

Notifications
Clear all

Does how you guitar look differ how much YOU play???

21 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys!!

I was at the guitar center a few days ago, I over heard a conversation with a salesmen and a beginer of I think a month or two (actually, it was the mom, the kid was too busy playing to talk :) ) and he was playing a epiphone Sg or something like that. The saleman said that he would reccomend a Schrecter, because he said if it's a good looking guitar, he is more likely to want to play it more!!! :?: Do you think this is true, or just another sales plot for the kid to look at a more expensive guitar?? I would think if the guitar sounded and played better, you would want to play it more!! Oh well. Just a mini-rant. :lol:

-Alex

(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Sales Pitch! :evil:

Either a person will want to play or not! The price tag does not have anything to do with what the person will or won't play or how much time and devotion will be spent.

I'm going to go puke now.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

depends on the player, does a better looking vehicle tempt you to drive it more?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Well many people do think that a guitar calls to you and makes you want to play. If you think your guitar is nice looking, you may want to play it more, you may not. Think about it though, if you walk into a guitar store, and a beautiful guitar catches your eye, you'll want to play it, I know I do, as do many others. I think there is some truth behind it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

For kids and beginners a guitar's aesthetic appeal can be very important.

For more mature players a guitar's feel and tone is much much more important.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I own a Schecter Strategy that is about 20 years old. It's black and is geared toward the heavy metal teenage hair band era. I purchased it on clearance because the company had gone out of business.

I wish someone back then had said to me that it was a nice guitar for the price, but Fender Strat's and Tele's are the main axe for most working musicians. Gibson SG's or Les Paul's are the main axes for many heavy metal players. They make inexpensive versions of all of those guitars.

Twenty years later, my Schecter Strategy most likely won't get the price I paid for it, whereas a 20 year old Fender, Gison or Les Paul is a collector's item.

One of those guitars and a very inexpensive Epiphone tube amp and you've got something VERY nice that will give awesome tone for years!

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Yeah, the less I play, the more dusty it looks! Sad but true.

I wish there was something other than a case which would keep that darned dust off my guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I would never buy a guitar if I didnt think it looked good. Looks do matter

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

My guess is that looks are very important (at that stage in a player's development). Both the Schecter and the Epiphone would probably sound the same in the hands of a beginner. Similarly, an excellent player can make an inexpensive guitar sound good.

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Take someone who isn't that knowledgable on tone and feel, and sit them in front of a black and white Strat, and a Honeyburst Les Paul. I honestly believe most would pick up the Les Paul, simply because of looks.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

i saw a used pink esp the other day at a music store

that was ugly...i wouldn't even think of buying it, but...

i can be quite rough with my guitars...after a few years, they get quite ugly. scratches, missing knobs big, gashes...still play them every day though 8)

so i guess it depends on the scale of uglyness

ReplyQuote
(@impact)

Hi guys!!

I was at the guitar center a few days ago, I over heard a conversation with a salesmen and a beginer of I think a month or two (actually, it was the mom, the kid was too busy playing to talk :) ) and he was playing a epiphone Sg or something like that. The saleman said that he would reccomend a Schrecter, because he said if it's a good looking guitar, he is more likely to want to play it more!!! :?: Do you think this is true, or just another sales plot for the kid to look at a more expensive guitar?? I would think if the guitar sounded and played better, you would want to play it more!! Oh well. Just a mini-rant. :lol:

-Alex

It certainly is the case for me. Everytime I see a Stratocaster, my mind instantly says PLAY IT PLAY IT PLAY IT! I love the way a strat body is contoured, all the curves comfort me. Les Pauls or other guitars do nothing for me, they look too cumbersome, heavy, bulky and... meh.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

For kids and beginners a guitar's aesthetic appeal can be very important.

For more mature players a guitar's feel and tone is much much more important.

Well said, Kingpatzer - absolutely!

Mind you, while it's the tone and feel of Fenders that does it for me, I also happen to love the way they look - especially Teles 8)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, that's really the goal isn't it. To get a guitar that both sounds and looks great. Strats, Les Pauls, and PRS are popular because of this.

Edit: And because of the guitar 'gods' that use them.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My first guitar was a small Dean acoustic with a good sized crack on the edge of the fretboard ( on the 20th fret to the 16thish fret) and I loved it! It was great to play for me being an extreme begginer at the time... and I think every guitar is looking awesome to me now, I'm going through an obbsesive phase.

-Alex

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2