Clear all

Does this ebay auction seem odd?

31 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@sam334)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Played a Breedlove at Guitar Center today and it sounded great, so I started looking for some on ebay to see what's out there.

Found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Breedlove-AD25-SM-Acoustic-Electic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ220044595322QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But the same guy sold the same guitar to the current high bidder not too long ago....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220038529040

:?:

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

either that, or all his friends gave him the same guitar for his birthday.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Maybe the other auction didn't go through or something? I have no idea.

Ask the dude about it with email.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member

All of what these guys said is possible, but there is something else it could be.
He might just have more than a few of this same guitar. Which, on ebay, can be sold in quantity. When you decide to buy or bid or win on ebay, you'll be asked (if there IS more than one) how many you want.

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I dunno, there is something a little fishy here. That guitar is advertised as brand new. Look at what they are going for on Musician's Friend.

Breedlove Atlas Series AD25SM

I could be wrong, but it looks like that if the bidding is not high enough, this fellow bids higher.

Hmmmm......

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member

chances are its pretty shady but there is the possibility that he listed it and was bought by a scammer (possibly of the Nigerian type) and is now relisting. But probably not.

"This is a public service announcement....with guitars!"

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

It is his buddy, wife, uncle, or alter ego bidding to get the price up, that is the thing that is fishy about it.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It is his buddy, wife, uncle, or alter ego bidding to get the price up, that is the thing that is fishy about it.
I'd go with this as an explanation. Alterego tried to bump the price up and ended up getting greedy and winning the auction, so he had to relist and is again trying to bump the price up. Notice they left each other feedback after the first auction, even though it's still for sale from the original owner...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

It is the same guitar, look at the pics. In the picture where it has the soundhole you can see the serial number. It's the same on both auctions. He probably used the same pics :lol:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

As soon as I see a zero feedback bidder, or one in the single digits I just opt out. I know everybody has to start somewhere, but I just don't want to be scammed.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

As soon as I see a zero feedback bidder, or one in the single digits I just opt out. I know everybody has to start somewhere, but I just don't want to be scammed.

Bummer. I have just 9 feedbacks at present. Guess I better buy something else. :D

Another thing I look for on E-Bay is unusual statements. This guy says the guitar was a gift, but he doesn't play guitar. Now, I know that might happen on occasion, but who would buy a $750 guitar for someone who doesn't play?? I mean, I might spend $300 for a gift guitar if I thought it might encourage someone to start playing, but no way would I spend a lot. So that little statement would bother me if I was looking at this sale. It just doens't sound right.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid. :shock:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Wes, no amount of positive feedback would lead me to believe you are anything but a shady character. :D

ReplyQuote
(@timba33)
Eminent Member

Funny, I was just browsing craigslist and recognized that picture. He has it listed on Craigslist now. Wasn't there yesterday. LA and Orange County.
Same exact picture as the ebay listings. I wonder how many he has. That action above has ended.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/230945389.html

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Take a look at both of the auctions - the same guy has won both times (asdlkfjlaskal).

I've reported them to ebay for shill bidding. Yes, I know, but I do so enjoy ratting on con artists like them. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I reported him too. Er, them.

Jerk should have just set a reserve price; he could have avoided the Wrath of Greybeard. :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3