Clear all

neck problem

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i'm having this problem with my electric. it's a thru-neck or set neck (not a bolt) prs soapbar II, and it's a pretty thick neck, but i notice when i'm playing an open string and simultaneously bending a note, that the open string goes flat. i also notice that if i'm lying down, fairly minor shifts in pressure on the neck make it sound slightly sharp or flat. i'm afraid there's going to be some kind of integrity problem with it later. should i be worried?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Are you sure you're not muting the open string accidentally with one of the fingers involved in the bend?

You play lying down? And the guitar responds differently from when you play standing or sitting?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I often find that when I bend one string all the others respond.

must be normal. if you think about it. by bending a string one is altering the string tension on the guitar, bridge, neck, etc. so I would think that all the other strings would respond.

my strat plus does that. I call it my rubbery guitar. I like that aspect. I can pull on the neck headstock and alter pitch. press on the bridge and alter things.

my 2 cents.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Dogbite: I'd expect it on a guitar with a whammy, but not on anything else (obviously the effect would be taking place, but I wouldn't expect it on a scale that I'd notice). It's the whole reason I chock up my whammy - I hate it that much I live without divebombs and gargling :)

Jason: Is it on a guitar with a chocked up whammy rather than a 'real' fixed bridge? Maybe the chock needs a once-over? Mine wooden one used to work itself loose every now and then, so I use a pile of pennies glued together now - I'm not proud :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i'm not muting it, it just goes flat about a quarter step.
and, no. there no whammy bar on it at all. it's a set bridge designed so that the strings go over the backstop.

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Jason,
Putting pressure on the neck loosens tension on the strings. So if you play a chord, then put pressure on the top of the body of the guitar with your forearm, and give some pressure to the back of the neck with your fretting hand, you can get almost a tremelo effect. DISCLAIMER: Don't put so much pressure on the neck that you snap it. Nobody likes to have a broken neck.

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote