Don't Waste Time at...

Notifications
Clear all

Don't Waste Time at GC's 4th Sale!

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I just got back from GuitarCenter and it was for the most part a wasted trip. It really wasn't much of a sale. As a matter of fact I think it might have been a ploy to just get people into the store. Their high-end items were marked down good (like the Mesa Boogie amps) but everything else was at their regular prices. They had a sign saying 60% off Dean Markley & GHS strings...so I figured 60% of $5.99 (their regular price) but it was 60% off list ($11.99) which brought the price to $5.49!!! Even the sales guy said that's not a sale!!

I got a better deal at Border's Books...I got the Gig Bag Book of Guitar Complete (has all the scales, arpeggios, and chords) and the Gig Bag Book of Picture Chords for $5.99 each plus I get a 20% teacher discount so for the 2 books with tax it was $11 and some change!

Don't waste your time at Guitar Center today.

(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the heads up. Might have to hit up Borders though...

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I figured you were going to say that you bought pretty much everything. That certainly isn't a good sale though, I suppose we'll just have to wait until later to see if anyone got a decent deal.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure Guitar Center ever has a real sale. Every single weekend whether it's a holiday or whatever, they're advertising a huge sale. Every weekend. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

They almost always base their "reduced prices" off of manufacturer's list, which is a good 35-40% higher than you can buy the stuff for any day of the week anyway.

Now and then you'll find a good deal, but by and large, they're "sales" aren't.

And frankly, no matter how good their prices are, I can't see shopping at that store.

I'd much rather have a real music store, with an owner on site who cares about his customers.

I avoid Guitar Center for the same reason I avoid every other "mega" corporate store and shop the local merchants. Economically it's better for me if my dollars actually stay local, and I am willing to pay more to avoid destroying the local businesses.

I know it's a losing battle, but hey, everyone has their own personal windmills to tilt at.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I avoid Guitar Center for the same reason I avoid every other "mega" corporate store and shop the local merchants. Economically it's better for me if my dollars actually stay local, and I am willing to pay more to avoid destroying the local businesses.

I know it's a losing battle, but hey, everyone has their own personal windmills to tilt at.

I used to be like that but I learned I had to be realistic...These mega stores almost always have the best prices. Even though I get teased a lot, that's why I am on eBay all the time. Even though I buy a lot of stuff I am still getting the ABSOLUTE best price. Yes much of the stuff is used but who really cares...Before I go to any store I always check eBAy and the internet for prices.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I would much rather support a mom and pop place as well, but I haven't found one worth supporting. The ones I've been in have had atrocious selections.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There used to be a shop at Marble Arch in London that had the windows painted over with "Closing Down Sale". It went on for so long (literally years) that a colleague reckoned that must the name of the store!
Most sales are fake any way. Here, in Germany, shops are forced, by law to mark items that have been specially purchased for the sale - they make up the vast majority of sale items, particularly in the department stores. If they've been specially purchased, it isn't a real sale any way, is it?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

thanx for the heads up Mikey, i saw that the online prices that they advertised thru the email for this sale were hardly better than usual if adjusted at all.

btw i have that book you mentioned also(gig bag) isn't that a great little book?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I used to be like that but I learned I had to be realistic...These mega stores almost always have the best prices.

That's just it, Mike, they very often don't. But as they seem to be the only game in town, one might the lured into believing that. There is usually at least one really good independent store in each major metro area that sells and services enough to beat GC and Sam Ash on prices. The trick is finding to store. Example: I bought my Talyor T5 C for $300 less than Musicians' Friend's (aka GC) online "low" price just by asking my local what they could do for me on it -- oh yeah, they cheerfully added a $40 strap and a couple sets of Elixirs.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I have two stores like that which I go to, because I hate to step foot in the chain store. I often time keep tabs on that bad store though, to compare prices, and my two always manage to win.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Here, in Germany, shops are forced, by law to mark items that have been specially purchased for the sale - they make up the vast majority of sale items, particularly in the department stores.

Harrods buy stuff for their "sale" too.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Living in the area I do, I honestly don't even know where the closest GC is. However, there are two music shops in my home town and one where I go to school. Since I've never been to the one where I go to school (it's in an awful area), I can only talk about the two here.

One is a semi-local chain and the other is a totally independant store. From the day I started playing up until about 6 months ago I shopped at the independant shop. The prices were slightly higher (but no where near noticable, maybe $.25 on strings.) but it was a much better shop so I didnt mind paying a bit more. Then the owner sold the shop and retired. I can't blame him, he was getting up there in years but he was a great guy, knew every customer by name, knew their interests, gear, and most of all he stood behind what he sold 100%. Now that he's sold it, it's just as bad as a GC or the other place. Now I really have no idea what to do about getting gear. I'm glad I stocked up on strings but now that I need to buy some, I almost want to buy them online. When it's time for a new geetar, I have no idea where I'm going....

Oh well.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Ah I don't know, I went in looking for a string winder and all they had was a fancy Planet waves one for $10(it was out of stock) . To which I said Huh! sure it's got a string cutter/stretcher on it but Ive seen no frills ones for $2.99. So the guy behind the counter says "well we've got a bunch of these on overstock", pointing to the Planet Waves mega kit with the gnarly string winder, a headstock cradle, a black nylon strap, and 5 Planet Waves picks with a rubber embossed design for a positive grip, "I'll sell it to you for the $10 the other one goes for" . I thought that was a good deal since I needed another strap anyway and I had been looking ay the headstock cradle for awhile so I bought it. I got home and checked the price online they ran $35 so I saved $25 bucks. Not bad for a days shopping.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote